Looking for a WIFI Repeater

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple iMac MB950LL/A 21.5-Inch Desktop
I am looking for suggestions for a wifi repeater. I currently have an AirPort Extreme hooked up to my network, and am still having trouble reaching the other side of the house with wifi. I have started to read up on them but would rather get opinions from people that use them. Anyone here have any good recommendations?

OP
hockeydave55
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Never thought of that. Thanks. Have you tried it?

Reaction score
You can also load "connectify" onto a puter that is in range, but towards your low signal zone.

Then from the low signal area you connect to it as a hotspot.

Reaction score
if you have an airport extreme then the airport express might be a good add on...

Problem I had with Airport Express was you have to use WDS, I had a lot of trouble getting WDS to work with different generation hardware (even though it was all Apple).

I'm using two MacRepeater 300 Mps 11n devices and they've worked really well for me. Inexpensive and simple to place (they plug right into a wall outlet). Best part is they don't need to mess with WDS. The documentation was great and setup was just a few clicks. I love the stuff that "just works."

As a perk I was able to plug an old iMac that didn't have wireless into one of them and now it get's internet access as well.

OP
hockeydave55
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
We use these and have had very good luck out of them. Not sure what your budget is though.

Newegg.com - HAWKING HOW2R1 Hi-Gain Outdoor Wireless-300N Dual Radio Smart Repeater
That's a little much for me. But it looks sick.

Problem I had with Airport Express was you have to use WDS, I had a lot of trouble getting WDS to work with different generation hardware (even though it was all Apple).

I'm using two MacRepeater 300 Mps 11n devices and they've worked really well for me. Inexpensive and simple to place (they plug right into a wall outlet). Best part is they don't need to mess with WDS. The documentation was great and setup was just a few clicks. I love the stuff that "just works."

As a perk I was able to plug an old iMac that didn't have wireless into one of them and now it get's internet access as well.

I'm gonna try this. Thanks for the response.

Reaction score
Any updates on this?

I had a really cheap repeater years ago which cost me like $40 (well it was like £30 but I'm in the UK) which worked... just OK. I was looking here Cheapest Wifi Repeater | Wifi Repeaters Boosters and Range Extenders and it has some cheap suggestions which look good but I don't know if it'll do me.

I'm only trying to repeat the signal for like 2 more rooms mind letting me know how you got on?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP 2.3GHz Intel Corei5 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3 750GB HDD Snow Leopard
I just installed an Express to extend the range of my Extreme, wirelessly......working fine... signal boost is just what I needed to reach the far side of the house.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
I always think getting the ethernet signal to the other side of the house and installing a 2nd wi-fi router is a better approach. Using a repeater - or the Airport Express cuts your available bandwidth significantly - as in half. May not be noticeable if your service rate isn't that high - but the higher your service rate is - the more likely you will be to notice it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.