• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Pays to make friends with the IT guy

Reaction score
So at my work i am the lowest guy on the totem and was told there was no reason to upgrade me to what the big guys are getting.

they are getting MBP 13" with the i7 and 8 gb ram with a 27" apple thunderbolt display and magic mouse with keyboard.

The IT guy guy came yesterday and was setting up the guys i work with and while he was here we were just shooting the bull and we got along pretty well. At the end of him setting up the system he packed up and said i will be back with yours tommorow (which is today) :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Yipee

What is your job, interesting to see what types of business are going Mac

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
So at my work i am the lowest guy on the totem and was told there was no reason to upgrade me to what the big guys are getting.

Sometimes the "Big Guys"...really don't need the high-end equipment...since they may not be doing anything other than checking e-mail, stock quotes, and e-Bay!;) Sometimes (maybe many times)...it's the "little guys" that REALLY need the horsepower!!!:)

Funny how the bigger title automatically means...better equipment!!! Believe me...the CEO of a company MANY times...does not need the computing power someone "in the trenches" needs! But of course...what the CEO wants...the CEO gets!!!

- Nick

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Funny how the bigger title automatically means...better equipment!!! Believe me...the CEO of a company MANY times...does not need the computing power someone "in the trenches" needs! But of course...what the CEO wants...the CEO gets!!!
Oh how true that is. I remember helping to set up the gear in the office of the company's president once (during a summer job) and being amazed at what we were asked to set up. He wanted televisions as monitors on separate walls so he could face either the north or east facing wall and wanted them to work like an extended monitor as well. He also had to have much better than company average specs and I can guarantee that he didn't need them.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh how true that is. I remember helping to set up the gear in the office of the company's president once (during a summer job) and being amazed at what we were asked to set up. He wanted televisions as monitors on separate walls so he could face either the north or east facing wall and wanted them to work like an extended monitor as well. He also had to have much better than company average specs and I can guarantee that he didn't need them.

How true!!! Of course this is all about impressing your friends, peers, and whomever else walks into the office!!!;)

- Nick

OP
RustProofCorn
Reaction score
Muhahahaha
8fe7cd4e.jpg

Reaction score
Sometimes the "Big Guys"...really don't need the high-end equipment...since they may not be doing anything other than checking e-mail, stock quotes, and e-Bay!;) Sometimes (maybe many times)...it's the "little guys" that REALLY need the horsepower!!!:)

- Nick

Some day I'm going to be a "big guy" at work and not answer email...

That'd be a nice day!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD

- Nick

Having worked in IT for the better part of the last two decades, I can say unequivocally that this is true. I would also expand it to say that some of the biggest techno-morons are also those who garner the biggest salaries. It's a status symbol like any other, even if they couldn't tell you the difference between the keyboard and the mouse.

I've seen more than my fair share of executives who read their email, check their stock quotes and occasionally open a spreadsheet and/or Word document to puzzle over the content generated by real worker-bees who actually do work on 5 year old PCs that have a quarter of the computing power of the one sitting on the exec's desk.

Sad to say it, but such is the way of the world we live in...

OP
RustProofCorn
Reaction score
Coolest part is they got me the MacBook Pro so i can take it home and work from there. the screen sure looks nice but oh the glare.

Oh and the Keyboard is mine. they forgot to bring a wired keyboard down so i am using my bt one in the meantime.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Coolest part is they got me the MacBook Pro so i can take it home and work from there. the screen sure looks nice but oh the glare.

Oh and the Keyboard is mine. they forgot to bring a wired keyboard down so i am using my bt one in the meantime.

I'm confused!:Confused: You said that you're the "lowest guy on the totem"...but it seems that you got some pretty good equipment.:)

So like you said...I would hate to see/know what the "big guys" got!;)

- Nick

OP
RustProofCorn
Reaction score
I'm confused!:Confused: You said that you're the "lowest guy on the totem"...but it seems that you got some pretty good equipment.:)

So like you said...I would hate to see/know what the "big guys" got!;)

- Nick

yeah man way nice stuff. i am not complaining. i just did a geek bench score and got 7822 seems pretty respectable. i don't know how to copy the page to show you guys i was trying to post it in the geek bench thread then gave up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini Server 4,1 (2.66GHz Core2Duo CPU, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD), iPhone SE 2nd gen (128GB)
If I was the "Big Guy" at a company I'd take that set-up home with me & just keep a basic-spec notebook in the office to maintain all my correspondence on ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.