More Heat During Video

Reaction score
This is the dumbest of questions, but I'd welcome the chance to get educated. I am not experiencing any problems. I just want to understand what is happening.

My question is: When I look at some online video online (ex.: YouTube or live streaming), there is no significant change in the temperature of the laptop. However, when I look at others (ex.: If I go the the Nightly Business Report (NBR) website and watch a broadcast from the previous day), the running temperature will go up and I hear the fans come on (I know they're always on, but they start running faster and get louder).

Again, I know that everything is working normally. I am just curious about this.

Thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It depends on whether or not the video broadcast is using Flash. If it is, that will work the CPU and GPU real hard which causes heat to build up and in turn the fan to rotate faster to provide cooling. Many sites still use Flash for videos.

OP
M
Reaction score
Would another laptop in the Apple line be able to deal with the heat produced by Flash more effectively? I would assume that the newer processors would.

Just wondering.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.