How do I write in terminal when the Mac is in single-user mode?

Reaction score
When I just start up my MacBook pro normally by clicking the power button, the apple symbol appears on the grey screen, and then is replaced by the “no” or “prohibition” symbol (circle with a diagonal line through it), and it's stuck there endlessly. I then here three loud beeps which I read means "no good banks". I also read that this mean the ram isn't sitting properly.

I tried the SMC Reset (holding power butting for 5 seconds, releasing the power button & then attaching the power cable & last pressing the power butting to turn on the computer) but it just went back to beeping again.

Starting up my computer in single-user mode didn't work either. I tried starting the Mac in single-user mode by turning on the computer & then pressing the power button to start the computer. I then immediately pressed & held the Command (Apple) key and the "s" key for single-user mode. (Command-S)

The Pram Reset didn't work (this is when you shut down the computer, press command, option, P, R. I waited for the computer to restart but it never did. I tried about 20 times & my boyfriend tried about 50 just to make sure we were doing it right. This failed as well.

I also tried verbose mode by turning on the computer & then immediately pressing & holding down the Command key & the "v" key for verbose mode. At this point to exit single-user mode, I would have needed to type reboot & then pressed enter. But what ACTUALLY happened was that the it was black with some white lettering & I could not type.

I then thought it might be that my Open Firmware Password Protection was enabled. When this is enabled, you can't access single-user or verbose mode.

I tried another way of resetting the PRAM. This way had me hold down command, option, P, & R. I kept them down until the the third startup sound. Doing this should have disabled the firmware password protection. After this process, I tried the verbose mode again with no success. Just for kicks, I redid this type of PRAM process & tried command-s.

QUESTION: Is there any way I can make it so I can type in the terminal when it opens? How can I type in terminal when my mac is stuck on grey screen?

Reaction score
I then here three loud beeps which I read means "no good banks". I also read that this mean the ram isn't sitting properly.

Did you install some more ram? Open it back up and re-seat it properly. If that doesn't work remove it. Otherwise it won't boot properly and you can't use it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.