iPad used instead of a Laptop?

OP
GLXMAN
Reaction score
Tks for the heads-up there,

Just thought it would be a good check out in the field, that is landscape and wildlife,
Just a too have a bit of a "chimp" with some of the cards, not for permanent storage though,
I always carry a bunch of cards and the images stay on them until I have backed up the keepers,

I only shoot raw so if the screen is a "little" out, I guess it is not such a big deal,
Regards,
Gary

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch 2014 Retina MacBook Pro, 2012 Mac Mini, 160GB iPod Classic, iPhone 5
I'm an event photographer and often edit, convert and deliver photos on site. On day shoots the 64GB drive size would be plenty good, but when I'm at a three to five day music festival shooting 200-300 photos per day I can quickly fill a 64GB drive.

Don't get me wrong. I use my iPad every day and for what it does I prefer it over my MBP. Maybe in a few years when I can get a 256GB iPad with a color-calibrated display...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's good information on the New iPad, Chas. I'm glad Apple got the color accuracy right with the new model. I bought my iPad a little more than one year ago and planned to keep it until the iPad 4 comes out. I think I'll stick to that plan. I still need a full-fledged computer when shooting on the road, but the iPad is wonderful for email, web surfing, and even showing my portfolio.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMAC 29" early 2010; MBP 15" late 2010, Apple TV 2nd Gen & iPad 3 64 GB Verizon LTE
Direct Answer

If I understand the original poster he is getting an iMac no matter what. Then he wants to know if he should get an iPad or MBA/MBP. I actually own all three myself. I have a MBP I bought the iMac 3 years ago and then the iPad and then the MBP. I now have the iPad3 64 GB with Verizon LTE. The speeds are fast and nice if you are trying to upload or download file sizes.

I am not sure if I still need my MBP. I am in sales and at first the iPad 1 was not as useful. That has changed. iWork has gotten better and reads and exports to Word/Excel/PPT. I think Excel is better then Numbers but Pages and Keynote are far superior to their MS counterparts.

I like iPhoto on the iPad3 with the amazing display but I am no professional photographer. There are several Adobe apps for the iPad for professional photographers and other apps too you should look at to compare.

IMHO - Get a iMac with the higher specs and a (32 or 64) GB iPad3 with LTE (Verizon or ATT depending on your fishing spot and home). You will not be able to survive with just an iPad which is what some people are commenting on which is not helpful to you. Plus you asked about the RAM of the iPad3 and that is 1GB. The responses to your question talked about the HD which is either 16, 32 or 64 GB of ram.

Plus in closing sell your old laptop and get your grandson an iPad too. He needs to be saved from that all Windows family... ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA 2020 Ventura 13.6 M1 chip 251GB; iPhone SE 3rd gen 128GB; iPad Air2, 64GB
I use my iPad2 for travel, and have an iMac at home. Creation happens on the iMac; consumption on the iPad, and I don't like those attachable keyboards. Something to consider with those keyboards - many will not work with the iPad cover, which "sleeps" your iPad, so you have to shut it down completely to conserve battery life. You'll really enjoy being able to sync your home computer to your iPad too.

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
Nearly a switcher here, :Blushing:
I was hoping to switch this month but got the electricity bill! Apparently, my state now has the honour of having the dearest electricity on the planet!

Sorry, getting off track here,
I do a lot of fishing trips away and always take my laptop for Internet access and any other business on the trip

I have been thinking of buying an iPad and one of those "new" iPad keyboards,
Thinking that this would be a more compact option for travelling and if so, I could retire the laptop as I'm getting an iMac 27"

Would the iPad/keyboard combo be a better option for travel?

I don't know how good the batteries are in the iPad or how the wireless Internet compares with a laptop either?
Regards,
Gary
getting an ipad with a separate keyboard is obviously not more compact than a laptop, cuz a laptop is one piece, and an ipad and keyboard is two.........

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The new Logitech keyboard and smart case for the iPad 2 and 3 integrates nicely into one. Much smaller and compact than even the MacBook Air. And for $99 it's a good bargain.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early 2011 13 inch MacBook Pro i5 with 8gb of Ram
NEVER!!! If the Ipad replaces the laptop I will commit suicide!

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
As much as I say it isn't a laptop replacement, I use mine that way. My birthday request was for an Apple Wireless Keyboard (so I don't have to borrow the one from my Mac Mini) and a really nice leather-look Keyboard Case (don't remember the name right now).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" mid 2012 16 gb ram
I am using an iPad as laptop and with the full power of a desktop! Well sort of! :Mischievous:

I am using the LogMeIn app on my iPad to get on the desktop. The desktop in this case is a Mac Mini. OK I am exaggerating calling my iPad a laptop, perhaps a netbook! But the point I'm making is that the real computing power is in the cloud.

I suspect, in the future, something like an iPad could be like a thin client, handling user input and desktop output, with the real power in the cloud on a server. Right now this is done w/ remote desktop apps. But my hope is that, in the future, it won't be so clumbsy as remote desktop is now. The iPad needs a bluetooth keyboard folio, which I have, to act as a netbook. The mouse emulation is the clumbsy part. With the Mac already supporting track pad gestures, using an iPad remotely is more feasible. Windows has some catch up to do, but the new Windows 8 is copying the Mac's touch gestures concept.

Currently, remote desktop, from a desktop to a desktop, works pretty well. But I am hoping it will improve with tablets devices acting as the client.

I'd rather have a lower power consumption tablet with me on the go, rather than a full blown laptop. And it is smaller and more convenient...

Reaction score
Well it is a good alternative. Speaking from experience, an iPad with a keyboard will pretty much do you a lot of good. However, iOS devices are a bit limited. Other than that I don't see why not? An iPad is pretty much a Mac in a way :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" mid 2012 16 gb ram
Well it is a good alternative. Speaking from experience, an iPad with a keyboard will pretty much do you a lot of good. However, iOS devices are a bit limited. Other than that I don't see why not? An iPad is pretty much a Mac in a way :)

Yeah I know its NOT a full blown laptop substitute. I am hoping in the future, something like an iPad can act as a thin client handling screen, keyboard & mouse IO, but all the real power being in the cloud. That is where I think things are heading in a few years.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah I know its NOT a full blown laptop substitute. I am hoping in the future, something like an iPad can act as a thin client handling screen, keyboard & mouse IO, but all the real power being in the cloud. That is where I think things are heading in a few years.
That does seem to be where we are headed. I much prefer using my iPad for taking notes in class, reading books, and sending/receiving emails and surfing the web while on the road. The iPad is a great device and does 99 percent of what most people need. However, for specialized use, such as my photography, I don't think it can ever replace a MacBook Pro or MacBook Air. Some of us need 8GB RAM and a dual-core or better processor when traveling. For most people the iPad is good enough that MBPs are overkill.

OP
GLXMAN
Reaction score
Sorry for the late reply guys,
You input has been much appreciated, many thanks,

The response has been so helpful, I can now make an informative choice

I have now settled for an iMac 27" and a 64GB iPad, at this stage, I doubt I will get another laptop

The only decision to make now is whether to get windows for Mac as well,
Regards,
Gary

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Great choices. I'm jealous. ;)

MsB

Reaction score
Well I've had my ipad for over a month now and I have to say....

... I LOVE IT!!!! I am not a techi person but am on my computer every day. To be honest I can not imagine my life without a tablet again. It is my favorite purchase in many, many years.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA 2020 Ventura 13.6 M1 chip 251GB; iPhone SE 3rd gen 128GB; iPad Air2, 64GB
Sorry for the late reply guys,
You input has been much appreciated, many thanks,

The response has been so helpful, I can now make an informative choice

I have now settled for an iMac 27" and a 64GB iPad, at this stage, I doubt I will get another laptop

The only decision to make now is whether to get windows for Mac as well,
Regards,
Gary

If you do get Windows (why?) don't buy Parallels! Virtual Box is free, and runs Windows just as well as Parallels. If all you want is Word, try Open Office, which is free too.

OP
GLXMAN
Reaction score
If you do get Windows (why?) don't buy Parallels! Virtual Box is free, and runs Windows just as well as Parallels. If all you want is Word, try Open Office, which is free too.
Hi There,
I use the occasional excel spreadsheet, and still have to communicate with many who are running windose,
I do help a lot of my friends out with their Nikons and Nikon software and find I am often using word to help them out
Regards,
Gary

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I use Keynote, Numbers and Pages on my Mac and have had zero problems sharing files with Windows users. Just make sure you use the same fonts and everything will be fine. Pages will open MS Word files, and you can email the files as Word docs from within the app. No need to install Windows for collaboration.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.