How to install Leopard onto a partition of a 2011 MacBook Pro running Lion?

Reaction score
I have a late 2011 MacBook Pro which came installed with Lion, and am trying to get an older copy of Mac available on my machine so I can use several applications that can't run on Lion (e.g. games such as Age of Mythology and Warcraft III). Thankfully, my friend lent me the install disc(s) that came with his MacBook from a few years back that have all the installation software for Leopard 10.5.2.
After researching the options and failing to get VirtualBox working, I read that you can simply create another partition on your Mac using Disk Utility, boot into that partition and then install Leopard onto there. I am unable to find a way of booting into this other partition, and attempts to install Leopard onto it from my default partition are proving fruitless (holding down "C" when booting to try and get to the installation setup resulted in an indefinite white screen).
Any advice on how to get this working? All I'm wanting is a copy of Leopard on my Lion Mac, I don't mind whether I need to boot into it or if I can create a virtual desktop to have just in a window... just know I have the 10.5.2 install discs ready with all the software on them that I need.

Thanks a lot!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
There are several things probably interfering with what you want to do:

1. Using your friends copy of Leopard probably violates the license agreement (don't remember for sure) in which case this thread will be shut down quickly.

2. If this is a gray install/restore disc it is model specific and won't work with your Mac.

3. I doubt Leopard will install at all. Even if that is an Intel version of Leopard it will not contain the drivers for your system. As a general rule you can't install a version of the OS older than what originally shipped with your Mac. The exception in some cases might be Lion going backward to Snow Leopard (if the SL disc has the necessary drivers).

OP
R
Reaction score
There are several things probably interfering with what you want to do:

1. Using your friends copy of Leopard probably violates the license agreement (don't remember for sure) in which case this thread will be shut down quickly.

2. If this is a gray install/restore disc it is model specific and won't work with your Mac.

3. I doubt Leopard will install at all. Even if that is an Intel version of Leopard it will not contain the drivers for your system. As a general rule you can't install a version of the OS older than what originally shipped with your Mac. The exception in some cases might be Lion going backward to Snow Leopard (if the SL disc has the necessary drivers).
Alright, sounds like I'm back at square one.
Any advice on running Snow Leopard (or older) on a Lion machine?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Alright, sounds like I'm back at square one.
Any advice on running Snow Leopard (or older) on a Lion machine?

Same advice as Slydude gave you above. You can not install Snow Leopard on a machine that came pre-installed with Lion. There may be a work around somewhere that you can try. Do a Google search. But officially, the answer is no.

Reaction score
OSX uses kexts (kernel extensions) not driver the way windows does. Therefore the OSX must contain all the required kexts you can't really add any. Leopard was released in 07 5 years before your computer, the kernel cannot contain the required kexts for something made 5 years later. The issue with Snow Leopard is the same the last retail is 10.6.3 ('09) which will not have the required kexts.

You could virtualize Leopard/Snow Leopard most likely but your violating the EULA again, if that concerns you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.