Enabling extension (kext) like extension manager

Reaction score
I need to enable an extension (specifically AppleFWaudio) that is failing to enable on boot up, despite the firewire audio device (Saffire Pro40) being connected. I am using Lion - all ran well under 10.6 but I am a late upgrade to 10.7

Is there an Extensions Manager utility such as I have seen in older versions or 3rd party software.
I also saw a hack to create plist but this referred also to older version of OSX.

Any suggestions?

Reaction score
kexts don't load unless they're called..

You can force load a kext, but that still doesn't fix why it's not being called..

I'd be inclined to fresh install Lion onto a partition and see if that helps. Not really If it were chris' computer we'd go back to Snow Leopard and wait for ML in the coming weeks.

OP
P
Reaction score
Its for a Focusrite Saffire Pro 40.
I do have a hardware problem with the USB ports on my iMac following an external drive from someone visiting my studio that fried the power out from the USB's and I think this is shared with the firewire. I resolved this with external USB that has its own power that in turn feeds the optical mouse etc and all other devices that require current. I get a warning every time I boot that a device is drawing too current. I bypass the warning and everything is OK - at least it was under Snow Leopard. I was wondering whether now this is not OK

I have manually forced enabling of the AppleFWAudio using kextload in Terminal - but actually this has not resolved the issue anyway - so have to dig a bit deeper

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.