"restart your computer" message/need new power chord

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4: Mac OSX 10.4.11:1.33 GHz PowerPC G4
My Powerbook G4 15in frequently will give me a message in a black screen with white letters that tells me I need to hold down the power button and restart the computer. Does anyone know why this happens? Also, my power chord doesn't charge properly. Could this be the reason for this? Does Apple still make power chords for the Powerbook G4 15in?? :\

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
My Powerbook G4 15in frequently will give me a message in a black screen with white letters that tells me I need to hold down the power button and restart the computer. Does anyone know why this happens?

Might be able to answer this...but we probably need more info. Can you be specific when this happens...and exactly what the message on the display says?

Also...how long (time) is the computer stable before this happens?

Also, my power chord doesn't charge properly. Could this be the reason for this?

Nope...not related. Unless your Powerbook's battery is dead or almost dead.

Does Apple still make power chords for the Powerbook G4 15in?? :\

Of course they do/did...where do you think the original power cords came from when the computer was originally purchased!;) But you can no longer buy these power cords from Apple for a 7+ year-old computer.

Maybe a better question is..."Where can you get a power cord that works properly?" Answer: Some online stores sell used original power cords...and new 3rd party power cords (including folks on e-Bay).

HTH,:)

- Nick

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4: Mac OSX 10.4.11:1.33 GHz PowerPC G4
Hi Nick, thanks for your reply. I'm noticing a correlation between the restart message, and my hard drive memory decreasing when I have my laptop on for a long time. Also, the message occurs usually after a program freezes and I go to "Force Quit", or when I've had my laptop on a long time and I go to restart.

The power chord I'm using now is from OWC : NewerTech NWTAPLPBI65W 65W AC Power Adapter... in stock at OWC
I believe its not working correctly because it got stretched out too many times by walking into it and pulling it. Could this be the case? Would you recomend that powerchord. I may purchase another.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
If you think that is the problem replace it. What you are experiencing are known as kernel panic attacks which is hard related generally and can be a number of things from failing hard drive, insufficient hard disk space, mobo problems etc.

If you have the original discs see if you can run Apple Hardware Test extended.

http://support.apple.com/kb/TA44004

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.