Macbook Pro won't recognize Toshiba External Drive

Reaction score
Hi! I just bought my new Macbook Pro and one of the first things I attempted to do was get data from my 750 GB external hard drive. Sadly, it doesn't recognize it! I've been reading other threads with similar problems, but none seem to match up to my situation exactly...

Disk Utility DOES recognize it, but doesn't let me do much with it.
It does NOT show up in System Profiler.
I have tried a different cord with no results.
This hard drive works on my PCs.

I've also noticed that when I click "Info" in Disk Utility it recognizes it's location as "Internal". That doesn't seem right to me. Could that be the problem? And how do I fix it? Thanks, everyone!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010
If you use external enclosure for the toshiba hd, plug the usb from external drive to mbp,
boot it up. click your finder dock. see it shows up.
otherwise go to utility > disk utility should be there.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Does this drive have its own power cord or does it rely on drawing power from the USB port. If it draws power from the port and it is not getting sufficient power that can cause all kinds of problems.

OP
C
Reaction score
Yeah, it draws it's power from the port. My brother's hard drive has it's own power cord and worked fine. Is it still a power issue even if Disk Utility recognizes it's existence? :)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I personally have not tried drives that draw power from the port. Often these drives have special cables that connect them to two ports simultaneously. There are several threads here with users having problems like yours that went away when a power cord was used with the drive. Does that drive has a power cord (perhaps as an optional accessory)?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
OP
C
Reaction score
Unfortunately, it doesn't have a power cable option. Is there a cable I can buy that can give it more power? Thanks!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That device is handy. I have used one before with good results. It does not necessarily provide additional power to the drive though. If the drive is dependent on USB bus power and has nowhere to connect an external power cord that may not help.

My reason for asking whether their is a connection for external power is that some of these drives have the socket for additional power but the cord is an accessory that must be purchased. Which drive is this BTW.

OP
C
Reaction score
It doesn't have a connection for an external power source. I think it's completely dependent on USB bus power.

It's a Toshiba Canvio 750 GB USB 3.0 Portable Hard Drive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.