Depressing a single keyboard key causes two key strokes to be registered

Reaction score
Hello,
I have an Apple Keyboard with Numeric Keypad, which recently began misbehaving. It is attached via USB to a Macbook Pro.

If I press the up arrow key, F6 is activated as well. The Keyboard Viewer shows that I am pressing both the Up and the F6 key when I press only the Up key. Every other key works as expected.

I have another identical keyboard that does not have the same problem, so I am quite convinced it is a problem with the keyboard and not a software issue.

I cleaned the keyboard two weeks before the problem materialized, so I may have damaged the hardware. (If that is the case, these keyboards are rather fragile creatures.) But the delay between cleaning and improper function makes me hope this is not the case.

Is it time to buy a new keyboard?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What did you use to clean the keyboard with and how much of it did you use? If you got liquid down inside the keyboard, sometimes it takes a few days for the effects to show up.

I got up really fast one night because I heard a noise outside, and knocked a bit of water on that same keyboard here. In one hour is slowly started dying.

OP
B
Reaction score
I cleaned it with a cloth made damp with soapy water. I'm quite sure that is not particularly recommended.

Reaction score
I have this problem too. Any solution? I believe this to be a software driver issue. I've never damaged my keyboard and it works fine when booted to Mac OS.

Hello,
I have an Apple Keyboard with Numeric Keypad, which recently began misbehaving. It is attached via USB to a Macbook Pro.

If I press the up arrow key, F6 is activated as well. The Keyboard Viewer shows that I am pressing both the Up and the F6 key when I press only the Up key. Every other key works as expected.

I have another identical keyboard that does not have the same problem, so I am quite convinced it is a problem with the keyboard and not a software issue.

I cleaned the keyboard two weeks before the problem materialized, so I may have damaged the hardware. (If that is the case, these keyboards are rather fragile creatures.) But the delay between cleaning and improper function makes me hope this is not the case.

Is it time to buy a new keyboard?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.