Photoshop

Reaction score
Hey everyone! I just bought a MacBook Air and I love it, I have a question which I hope someone knows the answer to..is there any type of photoshop for a mac?? maybe one thats not $800? :)

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Welcome to Mac-Forums

Photoshop is photoshop and will cost you whatever Adobe is charging for it. :) You can however try the freely available GIMP or the very capable of Pixelmator..

There is also Photoshop Elements for $79.99 that does photo manipulation. What are you needs exactly?

OP
A
Reaction score
Well I make jewelry and candles and I have a website I have to make a logo and banner for and I used I have photoshop on a dell, do you think elements can do that?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My quick run through Photoshop Elements seemed to indicate it was meant primarily to deal with photos (I could be wrong)..

GIMP has a very compatible feature set to Photoshop, so at the least you owe it to yourself to try it out (it is free after all) and see if you can make do with it. It can load Photoshop's PSD files no problem, so you can re-use the files you've been working with before and continue..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Photoshop elements is a good program, its main omission is lack of support for CMYK images, but that's not a problem

I am a heavy photoshop user, but find that pixelmater is a great substitute for most jobs, especially as its both cheaper and much faster

Reaction score
Pixelmator is 14.99 from the MAS, so the worst you loose is 14,99..

I keep PM on the portable and PS on the desktop.

C

chas_m

Telling a user that is clearly at a basic level to use GIMP is like telling a student driver to go fly a 747 safely. That's really bad advice IMO, GIMP is not in any way "comparable to Photoshop" except in the sense that a Matchbox car and a real car are both cars.

I think Chris' suggestion of Pixelmator is probably the best suggestion for this user.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Telling a user that is clearly at a basic level to use GIMP is like telling a student driver to go fly a 747 safely. That's really bad advice IMO, GIMP is not in any way "comparable to Photoshop" except in the sense that a Matchbox car and a real car are both cars.

I think Chris' suggestion of Pixelmator is probably the best suggestion for this user.

I'm sorry, was there ANYTHING in the original posters remark about their Photoshop usage which indicated there were at a basic level? I think not, and being a basic PS user myself, I can do the same basic things in GIMP since the tools match up nicely.

To top that, GIMP is free to try..if it indeed it turns out to be too hard to use, there is Pixelmator and Photoshop Elements that I _ALSO_ suggested in my original post..

If I had ONLY mentioned GIMP and moved on that'd be one thing, but since I didn't..what exactly were you trying to make a point about?

C

chas_m

I apologise. I didn't see your first post, only your second ... which didn't mention the other programs. My fault.

Reaction score
Adobe will allow a FREE download of Photoshop CS2. That should be more than adequate to resolve any issue you have.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Adobe will allow a FREE download of Photoshop CS2. That should be more than adequate to resolve any issue you have.

In case you didn't notice...this is a 2 year-old thread. The original poster has also not visited Mac-Forums in the past 2 years. And most likely has either found a solution...or moved on.

Finally...CS 2 is a pretty old version of Adobe's Creative Suite package...and I'm pretty sure that CS 2 is PPC Mac only. Which means only Mac Users running OS 10.6 (with Rosetta) or earlier OS versions can run CS 2.

OS 10.7, 10.8, or 10.9 will not run CS 2.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
Pixelmator is a great choice and its far better then Ps Elements. Also Pixelmator has FULL16bit color support through out every channel now. Photoshop Elements does not.

That said, Adobe has made the Photographers $9.99 package permeant. That includes both Lightroom 5.5 and Photoshop CC 2014 are few other minor programs. In addition when new versions or upgrades are released, you get the latest and greatest at no extra cost. Your billed $9.99USD +Tax monthly as long as you sign up for a year contract. Its a awesome deal, especially since people spend more on online games per month..

Reaction score
Pigoo3, whoops I didn't notice the date of the post... Next time I'll read a bit more carefully.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Pigoo3, whoops I didn't notice the date of the post... Next time I'll read a bit more carefully.

Sometimes it's ok to "wake-up" an old thread.:) In this case...the OP hasn't been around for 2 years...and probably wanted/needed...an immediate solution.

- Nick

Reaction score
I'm sure you're right. Just trying to contribute and will be lots more observant with further posts.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini: OSX 10.15.6 Catalina, 8GB Ram, Samsung Series 5 SC570 monitor, Seagate external drive.
Been using Photoshop Elements for several yrs.
It's perfect for me...has plenty of features.

Reaction score
I.ve never tried Elements and have been using CS2 for 1- years. Does all I need so there's no need to go to CS2 + whatever.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Does all I need so there's no need to go to CS2 + whatever.

When you upgrade to a newer computer...most likely CS2 (unfortunately) won't run on it.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A1286 MBP5,3 running 10.9.5, iphone6, Mac mini1,1 A1176 120/2gb
I found this thread nice. old or not since I knew nothing about GIMP or the others.
good info for newbies. ;-)

C

chas_m

At the present time, the current version of Photoshop (CC 2014) costs $10 a month, and includes Lightroom (photo management), 20GB of storage, a Behance portfolio and a few other minor extras. Honest, that's not a bad deal, though I'm not a huge fan of rental software.

However, depending on one's needs, Pixelmator ($15 for a limited time, $30 normally) might be more than enough. I use it daily for what used to be standard Photoshop work. Photoshop Elements ($80) is also good for standard consumer photo manipulation/fixing. The forthcoming Photos (free but not out this year) looks like it might turn into something pretty cool, particularly if plug-in makers get on board.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.