Wired PC to an Airport Express

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm new to the forums and having dug about the existing information I can't find an answer to my specific problem.

It has been years since I had a pc but, due to a requirement for a college course, I am the proud(!!) owner of a pre-loved Dell pc.

At home we have virgin media connected to our timecapsule which provides our wireless network. we've got a couple of airport expresses around the house which have traditionally extended the wireless network and allowed us to use airplay.

The pc is wired not wireless. I was looking to connect it last night and in my naivety thought I could simply plug the LAN cable into the port on the express and it would work!

After numerous hours on the internet I am not really any further forward.

My questions are:

1: Am I able to use one of the expresses as a wireless to wired connection for my pc?

and,

2: If i can how do I do it?

I had to install airport utility 5.6 last night as the one on my mbp was at version 6.1 and a dialog box told me the express couldn't be reconfigured through it.

Have installed it and had a hunt about the settings but I just don't know enough about what I'm doing with ports and channels etc when I start clicking away.

Can I do what I'm trying to? I have a sneaking suspicion that the ethernet socket might just be to allow it to connect to a router but perhaps not...

Any help would be gratefully received.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" iMac i5 2.9 Ghz, 15" MBPro i7 2.0 Ghz, iPhone 5, iPhone 4s, ATV2, ATV3, iPad2, iPad Mini
You need to configure one of the Airport Express as a WDS (Wireless Distribution System) - meaning it is acting as an extension (a slave if you will) to your current/existing wireless network.
Note: this is different than running an Airport Express as its own Wireless Network.
Once the Express is configured in WDS you can use the Ethernet Port on it.

Here is an article explaining how to do it. Setting Up a Relay Station with AirPort Express | How-To | The Mac Observer

DavidH

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks DavidHH. I went through the instructions on the link. I appear to have set up a WDS network with my time capsule as WDS main and my express as WDS remote (rather than relay as the link instructions were geared up for). On the express i've ticked the box for 'allow wireless clients' under WDS. Should that be unset? Does that effectively turn off the wireless side of the express and activate the Ethernet port? Apologies for this. I can't believe there is so little info from Apple out there.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
And please do not double post. Only post once and be sure to wait awhile before bumping the post. Your dupe was removed. Thanks.

OP
D
Reaction score
Many thanks Davidhh. Set up a WDS network and all worked well. After advice from elsewhere I reset the network completely and simply set the newer 'n' capable express to 'join a wireless network' under the wireless tab. Then simply checked the box 'allow ethernet clients'. Worked instantly. No faffing. Only downside compared to wds as far as I can see is that in ethernet client mode the wireless isn't available but I have other AE's i use for extending and airplay etc.

My apologies for the double posting elsewhere. I am new to your forum and I have no idea how it happened but i can assure you I didn't intend to post a duplicate within minutes of the original.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
The Airport Express is capable of doing what you want. That's one of it's primary functions in fact.

It's more about whether the company you work for allows wireless access. Many do not unless it's through a secure and approved method.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.