update software and firmware

Reaction score
Hi folks,
I have researched on Apple, and it seems that 4.2 is the latest software and firmware. I have also searched here, but no dice.

I am having two troubles - under General/About, it doesn't show my iPhone model. My serial number is 88813PIFOKH. I think it is 3G (or maybe 3GS.)

I'm on 10.6 on Itunes, but it only shows that 3.1.3 software is the latest, and it does not show firmware. I need it for a notes app which says it requires 4.2. (My 4GS died, sadly. Thank heavens I keep my old one each time. :) The 3G won't support the one I would like; it only shows 4.0, and I need the latest 4.2, preferably for both software and firmware.

I did do a Restore, but no change and still no luck on either.

Thanks for all of your help on my few Posts!!
-Shannon

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Please do not double post. I removed your duplicate.

Your serial number according to Apple is not valid. Are you sure you have the right # number?

OP
S
Reaction score
Hi chscag,
I could not see my first post - sorry about that.

I have checked my serial number on Apple, but I found no way to find it. After 3-4 checks, I know it was valid. Oh, at my age, I cant read the tiny numbers on the back. Let me try this one instead which I
found in General: 88813P1FOKH.

†hank again!
-Shannon

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Your serial number is: 88813P1F0KH (Note - that's a numerical zero not the letter OH)

Anyway, according to Apple your free warranty period has expired: LINK

OP
S
Reaction score
RE: Iphone update software and firmware

Hi,
Does it being (LONG) expired, mean that I'm out of luck? According to what I have researched, it seems I should still be able to upgrade. Am I mistaken?
Thanks for all of your help!
-Shannon

C

chas_m

If you have an original iPhone (2G), then software version 3.1.3 is as high as you can go. Many programs will not be available to you any longer.

The iPhone 3G can support up to iOS 4.2.1. The iPhone 3GS can support the current OS, 5.1.1. But that will likely be the last version it can support.

If you connect your iPhone to iTunes and look under the tab for Summary, you will see what version of software you have on the phone now, and what it can be updated to (slightly below the current version information).

OP
S
Reaction score
Hi Chas-M,
Thanks for all of your help. I even did a Restore on Monday, but as I check what you just said, no luck. Under Summary, it only shows 3.1.3, and nothing below except the serial number and phone number. I think I'm stuck, since it is obviously out of warranty, so I can't talk with Apple. This notes app is really not a big deal; just something that would help me.

FYI, I have kept up with the latest iPhone each time. I'm really sad my iPhone 4GS died, but I know why - water damage when it fell into a glass of water while I was resting due to a massive, (head trauma based,) seizure. Please don't worry y'all, I am under the care of a really good Neurologist.

I can't wait for the iPhone 5. *Grin!*

Thanks again,
Shannon

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.