Heat & File Access with Win7 Bootcamp

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I am a new-ish Mac user (6 weeks now). I installed Win7 via BootCamp but removed it for Parallels due to the iMac getting so hot in Windows. I have a particular program I use in Windows for video editing, and although not the best idea, Parallels (latest version) works very well considering. I have 16GB RAM, 1GB graphics and a 3.10GHZ quad CPU (iMac Mid 2011). I gave Windows via Parallels 8gb of RAM, access to all 4 CPU cores and all the GPU resources.

However, it would be nice in the future to run a native Windows OS for editing. Can I ask... what is the best way to cool the iMac when running native Windows (any good Windows applications for fan speeds) and could I install Windows on a small partition and read/write files on the MAC OS X area (like video files) ? Would save me needing lots of Win OS disk space. I wouldn't need Win files within the Mac, just the Mac files within Windows.

Please advice. :Confused:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm not endorsing it nor have I used it, but SMC Fan Control for Windows on Apple computers supposedly works. Use it at your own risk: LINK

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.