Help! Photos Look Great in Photoshop & Preview, but Bad When Uploaded To Web

Reaction score
so im having a weird situation with the color of my photos. the picture looks perfectly fine in photoshop and in preview..ive tried saving it with and without "embedding color profile (rgb)" and the problem remains.

what problem exactly? well everytime i upload the pic to the web, the web version ends up looking duller, greyer, and where the skin looks very vibrant and almost tan in the preview and photoshop version, the same pic when uploaded to the web adapts a sallow sickly yellow hue. ive done a side by side comparison and the difference is huge. sorry i dont have the pic with me so i cant upload it right now to show u all.

whats going on here?

C

chas_m

The reason the "embed color profile" doesn't work is a) that's a print thing and b) no website pays the slightest attention to that stuff.

The reason your pictures look a lot better in Photoshop is because that is PRECISELY why Photoshop costs hundreds of dollars (and earns every penny of it).

You're going to have to do more experimenting with your color calibration, your compression settings other such minutia to get to the bottom of that. More info on your setup would be helpful.

OP
M
Reaction score
The reason the "embed color profile" doesn't work is a) that's a print thing and b) no website pays the slightest attention to that stuff.

yes it seems like web browsers (or is it the websites themselves?) are stripping the photo of the color profile causing it to look dull and sallow. if i save the photo in photoshop and i unclick the "embed color profile: adobe rgb (1998) --it will look exactly how it looks on the web- sallow dull and yellow.

how do i save the photo so that the color profile is "unstrippable" i usually click on "Embed color profie" whenever i saved a picture and it sucks knowing that when uploaded to the web, it will ignore the embedded color profile.

You're going to have to do more experimenting with your color calibration, your compression settings other such minutia to get to the bottom of that. More info on your setup would be helpful.

my current color settings are:
Working Spaces
-custom
-rgb: adobe rgb (1998)
-cmyk: us web coated
-gray: dot grain 20%
-spot: dot gain 20%

proof setup:
-working cymk

-----

i also found this website
The Mysterious “Save For Web” Color Shift | Viget

it tells you to either "save for web" or to go through 3 steps in color settings/proof set up to ensure color accuracy.
the problem is, saving for web adds more saturation to the photo. there's no way around this it seems. i tried unclicking "convert to sRGB" and it changes to that exact sallow dull yellow color that i dont want. when i try clicking "convert to sRGB" it more closely resembles the original photo, but it seems to be adding saturation and changing the color a bit.

regarding the other solution- the 3 steps to ensure color accuracy-. all 3 of those steps ensure that ur looking at the photo without the RGB settings...but i actually want the rgb setting.

much help needed thanks

C

chas_m

In addition to Dysfunction's suggestion, two things jump to mind:

1. Why are you working in CYMK when you are uploading images to the web (RGB)?

2. Why are you using Adobe RGB as your colour model when you've already found that the web doesn't use that? I would try switching to sRGB for starters.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Yes, I completely missed the AdobeRGB colorspace yesterday. That just won't work. No browsers support it, and actually few monitors have a wide enough gamut to bother IMO.

C

chas_m

The web, being accessed by all kinds of computers, has to go for the lowest common denominator colour-wise (and everything-else wise).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.