Why do people run Linux on their Mac?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early 2011 13 inch MacBook Pro i5 with 8gb of Ram
Hey I was wondering if you guys could provide me with some answers to why people use Linux on a Mac when Unix and Linux are very similar and there is almost no point? Why not just run linux on your PC and take advantage of your lovely OS X on your Mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Well not that I would ever consider Linux, but some folk just love to tinker and be different with their operating systems. Others never even both to update. See G3 iMacs regularly running OS 8.6 and owners do not see any reason to update.

Human nature I guess.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Wait till Vansmith sees this one! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Because we can!

Actually, it's fun and educational. Knowing an OS from the inside is pretty neat. Personally, I use AIX 5.3/6.1/7.1 and SLES 11 at work, so a Linux VM on my Mac is what allowed to to get around my employer's policy of requiring Windows/AV/Firewall to access via VPN. Since Linux is already in house and we understand it, I'm allowed to just use my Mac to log in from home (instead of lugging a Lenovo home each night).

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Because we can!

Actually, it's fun and educational. Knowing an OS from the inside is pretty neat. Personally, I use AIX 5.3/6.1/7.1 and SLES 11 at work, so a Linux VM on my Mac is what allowed to to get around my employer's policy of requiring Windows/AV/Firewall to access via VPN. Since Linux is already in house and we understand it, I'm allowed to just use my Mac to log in from home (instead of lugging a Lenovo home each night).

Why can't you use Mac's firewall to access the VPN? Also, I am aware that you can really learn a lot about the OS by using Linux but I'm not exactly sure how. Could you please point me in the right direction please?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Why can't you use Mac's firewall to access the VPN?

My company doesn't purchase Mac licenses from our vendor for the 3rd party firewall software we use on the majority of our systems.

Also, I am aware that you can really learn a lot about the OS by using Linux but I'm not exactly sure how. Could you please point me in the right direction please?

Well, I actually said "knowing an OS from the inside is pretty neat", not that you can "really learn a lot about the OS by using Linux". My statement was a subjective opinion and observation. I'm not sure how you can learn any more about an OS by simply using Linux. Anyhow, what direction do you want to be pointed in?

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My company doesn't purchase Mac licenses from our vendor for the 3rd party firewall software we use on the majority of our systems.

Well, I actually said "knowing an OS from the inside is pretty neat", not that you can "really learn a lot about the OS by using Linux". My statement was a subjective opinion and observation. I'm not sure how you can learn any more about an OS by simply using Linux. Anyhow, what direction do you want to be pointed in?

We'll I recently discovered that I love Linux(and OS X of course). I also recently downloaded linux on an old desktop to replace stupid Windows and I was wondering how I could benefit from using Linux. I really enjoy Linux and I think OS X and Linux are the perfect Operating Systems for me. Windows is not for me in many ways. So ya by pointing me in the right direction I mean to suggest how to benefit from Linux and what to use it for.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Wait till Vansmith sees this one! :D
Haha, my love of Linux is that obvious? ;)

Was thinking the same, and now I'm waiting patiently for the technical jargon ;P
I'll keep it nice and simple for you.

Because we can!

Actually, it's fun and educational.
Both of these pretty much sum up while I use it. I also develop software and I'd like it to work across platforms.

There's this belief that Linux is nothing more than a toy to tinker with or, at the same time, only designed for mission critical development and deployment. It can certainly satisfy both needs but it can also be a dependable desktop operating system if you don't need Windows or OS X specific software. Plus, well, the price is right.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's true. Plus I really love cross platform programming languages too so if i pursue that career of programming cross platform languages like Java, C, C++, etc then it won't matter what OS I use when I am working for the business. I'd like to stay as far away from windows as possible. I'd love to use OS X but I also wouldn't mind Linux.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I'd like to stay as far away from windows as possible. I'd love to use OS X but I also wouldn't mind Linux.
It's hard to develop cross platform applications if you don't target the OS that controls 90% of the market.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's hard to develop cross platform applications if you don't target the OS that controls 90% of the market.

Yeah I know that's why I am saying that I can use my Mac to program for Windows. Not Windows programming languages but cross platform languages for Windows OS

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
That's true. Plus I really love cross platform programming languages too so if i pursue that career of programming cross platform languages like Java, C, C++, etc then it won't matter what OS I use when I am working for the business. I'd like to stay as far away from windows as possible. I'd love to use OS X but I also wouldn't mind Linux.

You do realize "cross platform" inherently includes Windows as well right? Also, anybody who arbitrarily dismisses an OS that runs on Billions of computers out there when trying to potentially write programs for it has already set themselves up for failure. Any "smart" programmer will make him/herself all possible OS' available to test and ensure proper functionality.

I'm a software developer by trade, I've been using Linux since '95 and Windows for about just as long. I'm only a recent Mac OS X user and enjoy it very much..

I run a VM of Linux and Windows on my Mac because I need to be able to test things on all OS' and also, since I do a lot of work in Linux at work, having the VM at home means I can do some tests and work through the VPN without any problems..

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You do realize "cross platform" inherently includes Windows as well right? Also, anybody who arbitrarily dismisses an OS that runs on Billions of computers out there when trying to potentially write programs for it has already set themselves up for failure. Any "smart" programmer will make him/herself all possible OS' available to test and ensure proper functionality.

That is NOT what i said! I said I would USE OS X and Linux to PROGRAM for any OS in a cross platform language.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I run a VM of Linux and Windows on my Mac because I need to be able to test things on all OS' and also, since I do a lot of work in Linux at work, having the VM at home means I can do some tests and work through the VPN without any problems..
Have you ever thought about buying a PC Desktop for you house to dual boot windows and Linux on? And how often do you need windows and linux? I would find running the VM with those two OS's would take up tons of ram on your computer so maybe you should think of an alternative way.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That is NOT what i said! I said I would USE OS X and Linux to PROGRAM for any OS in a cross platform language.
You'll still need to test and debug on a Windows machine. Cross-platform development, as much as the code is "universal", still acts differently sometimes.

Have you ever thought about buying a PC Desktop for you house to dual boot windows and Linux on? And how often do you need windows and linux? I would find running the VM with those two OS's would take up tons of ram on your computer so maybe you should think of an alternative way.
I'm guessing that he probably doesn't run both of them at the same time.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You'll still need to test and debug on a Windows machine. Cross-platform development, as much as the code is "universal", still acts differently sometimes.
I guess. So does that mean I would either have to also run windows in a VM or buy another laptop?
vansmith said:
We'll yeah but still.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
My point exactly..

When I'm actively developing applications/websites, I do have the VM's running at the same time with multiple browsers (gotta be cross-browser too :) ) and that works great..

I guess. So does that mean I would either have to also run windows in a VM or buy another laptop?

We'll yeah but still.
Since you have no real love for Windows, running it within a VM for the short duration for the sake of testing is probably sufficient..

If I may make a statement, you sound like a young person who's made up their mind about technologies long before it is really needed or appropriate..if you DO intend to enter the programming world, know that there are numerous technologies (not just OS') that are out there to get tasks accomplished..

Your stance on Windows is akin to a lot of people I've come across that are totally anti-Java, anti-C++, anti-C# and anti-<whatever else have you>..

I really can't afford to and will not be anti-anything, just like there is an appropriate tool (hammer, screw driver) to get some home building job done..there are tools to get a task accomplished with computers. Arbitrarily limiting yourself to an OS or a language doesn't make you better, it just reduces your ability to adapt when the task requires you do something that is easier with another tool. You are then the inefficient coder making a language or an OS do something that it doesn't natively do...

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you want the code to run well in Windows, yes, you'll need to test and debug it in Windows. This is especially true if you use a compiled language (except for Java) since you'll want to test compilation on Windows as well. You could try to set up some cross-compiling solution on your Mac but it would probably be easier just to use Windows.

You could always have a Windows developer do all the testing and debugging for you but I don't think that's an attractive solution.

When I'm actively developing applications/websites, I do have the VM's running at the same time with multiple browsers (gotta be cross-browser too :) ) and that works great..
Ah, I see that you've got an iMac with 12GB of memory. Yeah, that'll get the job done. ;)

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yeah so how do people test their program when they made it on their Mac and they want to run it in a vm?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.