How to Alphabetize Bookmarks???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 MBPro 16" wi/Retina Display, iPhone 15 Pro Max, MBPro 13" (2021).
Hi -

Is there a way to do this or an App for it?

Thanks all -
Richard

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It would help if you told us which browser you're using?

OP
ImDrRichard
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sure. It's the latest version of Safari that came with my 2012 MBPro.

Thanks -

Rich

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The way I do it in Safari is not very elegant but it works for me:

Select open all bookmarks from the top menu. If your bookmarks are in folders, expand the folders. Highlight each bookmark individually and drag it either up or down and put it in the correct alphabetical order.

Like I said above, not very elegant. Sorry, but I don't know of an application or utility which can do it automatically. Perhaps someone else knows of one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Yeah, I use the same method. Not elegant, sure. Not easy either. It's sometimes difficult to prevent the bookmark from slipping into a folder in the list instead of before or after it.

OP
ImDrRichard
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Yes, there is another way.

In Safari, Go to Bookmarks/Show all bookmarks.

Now put all your bookmarks into a Folder (name it anything you want, it's only for this exercise).

Then left click-and-drag the folder onto the Desktop (it will copy it).

Open Folder on your Desktop and view it in List View. This automatically puts your Folder's contents in alphabetical order (in your case your bookmarks).

Now drag the Folder back into bookmarks. Open and check that all is well, then toss out the previous folder and delete same from Desktop.

For those who have already arranged their bookmarks into Folders, you can repeat this process with each one and end up with each Folder's bookmarks in alphabetical order.

Ian

C

chas_m

If you'd prefer a program to do this automatically for you, there's BookMacster

My system is related to what the others have said, but instead of having a long list of bookmarks I break them up into folders related to broad topics, such as "travel." Inside the Travel folder I might have "booking," "research" and "language" subfolders. Alphabetizing the small numbers of entries one might have in each folder is pretty simple using the manual method described above.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.