my beloved clarisworks

Reaction score
Looking to buy new Mac. Fooey! No clarisworks or better. "oh, you'll just have to buy photoshop.....or something off the internet. " lisps the clerk.

Then, why-for should I buy a new Mac. It is more and more like a (gasp) PC!

I am on the road a lot, and our company website worked only with windows (do we perceive either a lazy web master or a kickback?), so I had to buy a gateway laptop.

The graphic program for PC is horrible, like a bad dream.
Sorry for the rambling.
Can I find a download of Clarisworks for this pc so I can do my drawing and painting in the style in which I have become accustomed?

Thanks
Will check back for answers later.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Why are you posting this in a Mac forum when you're against purchasing a Mac? If you're here to start controversy, you won't last long as we do not tolerate that type of behavior.

And if you're looking for a copy of Claris Works for Windows, I suggest doing a Google search. I'm sure you can find a copy for sale somewhere or an equivalent program.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Wow! Someone still using ClarisWorks! I reluctantly gave it up, about 10 years ago!

OP
A
Reaction score
Start a controversy?. I love my Mac. I wanted to buy a new one. I am disappointed Mac took away the pre-installed clarisworks and didn't replace it with an upgraded version. But it is the graphics that I love. I currently own a G4, with 10.4.1 OS, with the half globe base, 17" screen. Many programs on line don't work with it so well any more.
The new Mac costs $1100. And then I have to find a graphics program to equal clarisworks. I can't afford that right now, and am forced to use laptop most of the time because of our trucking business website. Being on the road most of the time, I would like the ability to do some graphics work. Have looked on line and one site offers claris but a pop-up says it is a false site and folks have issues with them.

The second reply knows what I was saying. I still use my G4 at home, still do all kinds of freehand graphics for my other small business with claris. I have found nothing that compares with the intuitiveness, the flexibility and ability to manipulate images as claris.

I may just decide to try burning a cd with my Mac claris and insert it into my laptop.
What do you guys think?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16” M1max 32/1tb and bunch of other mac/apple stuff
I understand your pain re: older programs being left to the wayside.

Best really to find something you can enjoy that perhaps has better legs in the newe systems. There are a number of options these days. Pixelmator is one that people are liking these days and was only 15 bucks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Pixelmator is one that people are liking these days and was only 15 bucks.

It won't run on his G4. It requires Snow Leopard or later. He needs to upgrade his machine to an Intel or find a copy of Claris Works for Windows to run on his PC. If I remember correctly, Claris Works never did get anywhere with the Windows version so he may get lucky and find a free copy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
sorry I was looking at the start of his post with 'looking to buy a new mac'.

OP
A
Reaction score
Thanks for quick replies. I know my G4 cannot be upgraded any further. Would the pixlmaker work on my Gateway laptop? It is only a little over a year old?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No, it's OS X only. But there are other graphic programs available for your Gateway machine. MS Publisher is good but it's too expensive in my opinion. There's also several versions of Corel Draw floating around on eBay that you might want to look at. Still a little high in price though.

Lot of choices for Windows. Hunt around for free ware and abandon ware. Try this web site: It's called Old Version.com. LINK

C

chas_m

Yes, how DARE Apple not make computers that are compatible with programs from 20+ years ago!!

Personally I think they went off the rails with System 7 -- bah, graphics!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
one advantage to GIMP is there's pc and mac versions.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
ClarisWorks? I have not seen that in 15 years. It's dead. How is apple going to provide software that is no longer made or updated? Photoshop making mac like a Windows PC? Photoshop was on a Mac long before it was even on Windows. It's been around since the beginning.

I think it's time to move up to newer applications.

C

chas_m

You have, realistically, three options:

1. Find programs that are better than Clarisworks (NOT hard) that you can afford and learn them (again, should not be difficult).

2. If you're going to be stubborn, you and technology are never going to get along. :)

3. If you insist on sticking to your old program, you'll want to keep that old G4 running as long as possible. Buy a newer computer to use the newer software, and keep the G4 around for Clarisworks only.

OP
A
Reaction score
Uff da. Lots of info. Thanks all.
My Mac dealer says I am being stubborn too.................BUT, they do NOT know of any program to match or exceed claris. What's a fuddy duddy to do?
Seriously, thanks a lot for all input. I did not mention photoshop, the sales person did. I do not have it. It is my understanding that photoshop is not a freehand drawing program, but a photo manipulator. I am looking for program to do freehand drawings, save them as jpgs, as well as combine images (mine and others) with text and to manipulate all at will. The ability to treat text as an object to be located wherever I need, and not only within a grid matrix is my goal. That is why claris was my baby.
I will check out the links you all so graciously provided. Wish me luck.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
sounds like you want something like illustrator. I only use photoshop for images generally. I hate it for drawing/vector drawing.

That's my favorite program. That will do everything you describe. Yes you will have to learn it, but it's not likely to go unsupported anytime soon, and is an industry standard.

It's not cheap, but worth it imo. If you're on a mac, either pixelmator, or GIMP will do most of what you want.

But if you need to upgrade to a newer machine, you're going to have to learn something new.

OP
A
Reaction score
The issue has never been avoiding learning new ways. But finding a new way that does what I want.
My Gateway has a "paint program" I have been trying to make work for a while now. It is clumsy, as you probably all aware.
I am going to check out illustrator. I am looking on the old graphics software website for a possible download to my Gateway for when I am not home.
Thanks again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.