• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

I met some real life Apple haters

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
If you've ever installed slackware, regardless of release version, you might just be a tech-hipster ;)
Fixed that for you. You also forgot "rolling your own kernel" and "installing Gentoo". ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Fixed that for you. You also forgot "rolling your own kernel" and "installing Gentoo". ;)

Ahhhh you don't remember configuring x on mid 90s slack ;)

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Ahhhh you don't remember configuring x on mid 90s slack ;)
True but I have had to configure X on other recalcitrant Linux installs. Oh, I remember the days when "no screens found" would drive me mad. ;)

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Now, if only I were in denial, I'd be set. Ba dum chhh....I'll show myself out. ;)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE

You would have to say that G word! :D Gentoo drove some crazy. I never liked messing with it! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini Late 2014, OS 11.2.3, 2.6GB i5, 16GB ram, 1TB HDD
Yeah it's crazy.

It's odd that a consumer electronics company can foster such extreme emotions.

After all, you don't often come across ardent Samsung, L, Dyson or Kenwood haters

Arrrrh, Kenwood and those darn cool food mixers ;)

Although I still use several Microsoft products, it didn't matter when I told my Supervisor I bought a MacMini. She blurted out, "I'm sorry!" and things went downhill from there. I tried to make peace but from that day on she rarely spoke a civil word to me :Shouting: It really affected my work life. Sad that it had to go that far. There was not a happy ending. :Grimmace:

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Although I still use several Microsoft products, it didn't matter when I told my Supervisor I bought a MacMini. She blurted out, "I'm sorry!" and things went downhill from there. I tried to make peace but from that day on she rarely spoke a civil word to me :Shouting: It really affected my work life. Sad that it had to go that far. There was not a happy ending. :Grimmace:

That is crazy she would act that way to you just because you bought a Mac Mini. It's not like you robbed a bank or murdered someone! :D

Reaction score
I did not know that Apples were hated at all - I can look forward to meeting an Apple hater - Don't have an Ipod, or a tablet, but do now have an Iphone - but I like both my G5s and the phone more than any other kinds I have had.

I am huge, big chest, muscles all over - I wonder if some bad mouthed guy wants to complain about my computer.. :) I might get lucky.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch 2014 Retina MacBook Pro, 2012 Mac Mini, 160GB iPod Classic, iPhone 5
I am huge, big chest, muscles all over - I wonder if some bad mouthed guy wants to complain about my computer.. :) I might get lucky.
I'd love to be standing next to you when some Apple haters start spouting their BS.

Honestly though, this type of reaction to Apple products has gotten pretty rare since Steve Jobs came back and resurrected Apple form the dead. It was much more typical when Gil Amelio was Apple's CEO and the product line stagnated into boring beige boxes.

Nowadays even my Windows-dependent friends admit Apple has changed the computer industry for the better.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini | Intel Core i5 | 8 GB RAM | 240 GB SSD | Dell 27" LCD | OS X 10.10.x
I have a Mac mini which I'm typing on right now, two Windows PCs (my main rig and a laptop), and I just bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab Android tablet. For me, if it's some type of computer, I just instinctively want to play with it and learn about it, regardless of what logo is slapped on it.

Ultimately my hope is that people see me as open-minded and knowledgable, not someone who has an opinion or criticizes without actual experience.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Air 2012 11.6 inch 4GB Ram 64 GB SSD
I used to frown at people when they showed their iphones and ipads, But now i have my MBA i am in love with it. I also have my android phone and a windows pc, I dont understand why people get mad about what products you have or are interested in having. there is a lota of choices out there and people have the right to choose what they think will work for them. No need for all the Hating

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP 3.06Ghz, MBP 2.2Ghz, Mini G4, B/W G3 (Media Server), LCII, Beige G3
I used to hear this kind of reaction a lot more, and lately it seems to have dwindled. Every time someone mentions something like this I can't help but think of my great experiences with Applecare to put things into perspective and appreciate a company like Apple. Despite what people think of the software/hardware/price/etc I can honestly say I've never been taken care of a computer manufacturer better or as often as Apple. Here are my two best stories:

(1) iBook G4 14 inch with logic board overheat issue, the logic board would overheat and the screen would just turn off after awhile and require a restart to come back. I sent the computer to Apple twice about 1.5 years into my Applecare. They replaced the logic board twice and the problem came back after awhile. I called Apple a third time and they said I had suffered without a computer for long enough, and as they no longer carried the iBook they would upgrade me to a MacBook. Then the guy said that because the new MacBook had a 13" screen, and mine had a 14" screen he would upgrade me to a 15" MacBook Pro! Score.

(2) I was told battery replacements were not covered under Applecare after the first 12 months regardless of warranty status. This was told to me over the phone. I took my Unibody MacBook Pro (not the same one as story 1) with 2 months left on my three year Applecare to the store yesterday. Told him my battery wasn't staying charged. Genius didn't even ask for specifics, ran a test, the battery failed and he replaced the battery no questions asked, no charge!

I love Apple.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA 13" 2012, 1.8GHz Core i5, 8GB RAM, OSX 10.10.5
"No offense, but when people like Apple so much, I lose all respect for them."

No offense??? Gutless Weasel!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA 13" 2012, 1.8GHz Core i5, 8GB RAM, OSX 10.10.5
I think people hate because it requires no brain power, and is therefor easier than accepting that people can be different and have different opinions, and still be okay.
Different is threatening and has to be explored or it remans a threat. You see this behavior in dogs who bristle and growl until they've sniffed around a bit and found out things are alright. But, for the intellectually lazy or timid, it's too much effort to get out of the mental box and explore, and find out that different thing is okay, maybe even better than what they are used to. :)
LIKE! Mind if I steal your comment?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early 2011 13 inch MacBook Pro i5 with 8gb of Ram
Not in a long time. I know this is too late to help, but I volunteered to work at the American Astronomical Association's meeting in Austin, TX, this past January. This was a gathering of about 500 people with PHDs in astrophysics, astronomy, cosmology and related degrees. I counted one day, and MacBook Pros outnumbered PC notebooks 18-1. If some of the smartest people in the world use Macs to such a degree I think Apple just might be onto something.

Thanks for your post! I totally agree with you and now I can use your quote to show a friend that his biased remark about Mac's being for only people with little computer knowledge is wrong. hahaha

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch 2014 Retina MacBook Pro, 2012 Mac Mini, 160GB iPod Classic, iPhone 5
Thanks for your post! I totally agree with you and now I can use your quote to show a friend that his biased remark about Mac's being for only people with little computer knowledge is wrong. hahaha
Cool, but please make sure you get the association's name right. It is the American Astronomical Society. Don't know what I was drinking, uh thinking, when I wrote the post.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early 2011 13 inch MacBook Pro i5 with 8gb of Ram
Cool, but please make sure you get the association's name right. It is the American Astronomical Society. Don't know what I was drinking, uh thinking, when I wrote the post.
Haha ok. Sure thing!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.