Help with resurrecting old iMac g4 - Ready for a challenge??

Reaction score
I've come across an old iMac G4 that I would like to try to get back up an operational as much as possible.

When the machine first boots up, the screen resolution is all messed up and there is an error message about the date. I've attached two images to show the error message and screen resolution.

If I log out.... the log in screen appears fine with proper resolution (another image attached to show) I'm fairly certain there is an admin account to the machine, as the login used doesn't seem to display a lot of settings.

My questions...

1) how can I correct the resolution error?
2) how can i wipe the machine clean and start fresh? (I do not have any of the original discs that came with the machine)

I appreciate any and all help!

photo 1c.jpeg

photo 2c.jpeg

photo 3c.jpeg

OP
R
Reaction score
UPDATE - I've got the screen resolution worked out and have confirmed that there is an admin account on this machine that I do not have access to.

OP
R
Reaction score
UPDATE - Found a way to create a second admin account.... logged in and deleted the original. Things are running great. :)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
You need a new PRAM battery. It's a 3.6 Volt Lithium. You can get them at Radio Shack.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
UPDATE - Found a way to create a second admin account.... logged in and deleted the original. Things are running great. :)
You're making this too easy by fixing the problem yourself. What are Dennis and I supposed to do for a challenge now?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.