Using all 16GB of ram, will computer get too hot?

Reaction score
Hello there. I currently have 4 gb of ram installed on my macbook pro 17-inch. When I run many programs and such and use up almost all 4 gb, the computer itself gets fairly hot to the touch, and the fan gets very loud. I am going to upgrade the ram to 16 gb and at times i will fill it up to almost the max 16 gb (run lots of programs to fill it up - this is for a program that if you need to know i will answer but i think is irrelevant).

My question is, will the computer get TOO hot? I'm kind of unsure as to how that works. but my guess is that since it gets this hot and loud at 4 gb, it would kinda explode at 16 gb?

An answer would be much appreciated! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
No, how hot the computer is has nothing to do with how much RAM is installed/used since the RAM cards don't give off much heat (If any at all) when they are being used.
What does give off heat is the CPU and Graphics Card, and if you have lots of programs open your CPU will be working hard and giving off heat.

OP
B
Reaction score
No, how hot the computer is has nothing to do with how much RAM is installed/used since the RAM cards don't give off much heat (If any at all) when they are being used.
What does give off heat is the CPU and Graphics Card, and if you have lots of programs open your CPU will be working hard and giving off heat.

So If i use 100% of my CPU, is that bad? Also, is there a way to get more CPU room? Im sorry if this is a nooby question...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
No, the CPU cannot be upgraded. It is clocked to the MHz you bought it with. And no, I wouldn't worry about heat or using 100% of your CPU. Your Mac has several safely features built in like a auto-shutoff if the machine gets to hot that prevent damage.

OP
B
Reaction score
No, the CPU cannot be upgraded. It is clocked to the MHz you bought it with. And no, I wouldn't worry about heat or using 100% of your CPU. Your Mac has several safely features built in like a auto-shutoff if the machine gets to hot that prevent damage.

Thats very reassuring. Thanks man! :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.