Buying a replacement Mac and restoring data via Time Machine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20-inch iMac (Early 2008), 2.66 GHz Processor, 4 GB RAM, Snow Leopard 10.6.8
Recently, the hard disk in my 2008 iMac failed and I'm planning on just buying a new Mac altogether. Luckily, I've backed up everything with Time Machine for the entire life of the machine and I also have most of my important files backed up separately on flash drives, so loss of data isn't an issue. My question is once I get the new Mac, will I be able to only restore the files and apps I need and not do a complete restore to save time and disk space? I have a tendency to hoard files and was planning to use this situation to make a clean start. If it is possible (I've never even attempted this before), would not doing a complete restore effect the license or configuration of any software not installed via the App Store? How do I go about this?

David Lones

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You can do a TM restore but it will have to be before creating an account on the new machine. In other words, the first time you boot the new machine and it asks you if you wish to restore from another Mac, reply yes. Attach your external hard drive with the TM backups and press OK. System files and kexts will not be overwritten, only data such as documents, photos, iTunes media files, and other data will be copied over.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I am beginning to think we need a sticky of some sort about Time Machine. There seems to be a great deal of confusion over exactly what it does and how it gets that done.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
I am beginning to think we need a sticky of some sort about Time Machine. There seems to be a great deal of confusion over exactly what it does and how it gets that done.

Or people can search on Youtube. Many, many "how-to" videos there that explain much better than text can.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I agree but apparently that's not happening given the number of questions recently that are so similar.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Accessing the backup from Windows???

How do I access my backed-up files from a Windows machine? Attempting to seems impossible...
Will my files be accessible in the way I'm attempting from a Mac?

TIME%20MACHINE%20BACKUP%201.png

TIME%20MACHINE%20BACKUP%202.png

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
How do I access my backed-up files from a Windows machine? Attempting to seems impossible...
Will my files be accessible in the way I'm attempting from a Mac?

Not impossible provided you have another working Mac? Windows by default can not read or write to a HFS+ drive or partition without third party software.

And plus the fact that without the Time Machine application (which will not run on Windows) you will be unable to restore anything from the sparse image.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
...well, recent "YouTube" and google searches led me to believe that simply digging around in some kind of "Backups.backupd" dierctory would uncover my files. Evident from my screenshots, said directory does not exist and I have MacDrive installed on the PC. (Not that that would make a difference. I'm using a Time Capsule, which is accessible from Windows machines anyway). Also, no, I do not have access to any other Mac's at this time.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have my backups on a drive attached to a Time Capsule. The "Backups.backupd" folder should be the first one inside that sparse bundle. Inside that folder will be another one that matches the name of your computer. Inside that folder will be the rest of the contents of the backup. The directory structure will match that of the original drive.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good for now...

Yesterday, I was able to gain access to a Mac and retrieve the few files I needed for now.
I think I'll just do the same whenever I get a new Mac and skip dong an actual restore. Again, clean start.

To bad I couldn't access the backup from a PC. It would have been a lot easier given most all of my friends and family don't own Mac's. Although, it does seem more secure...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.