Can anybody help with a Mac Mini problem?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Aluminium running at 2.4 GHz.
Hi Guys and Guyesses,
I'm having a problem with my Mac Mini. It's the 2.4 slimline version with 8 gb of Ram running 10.6.8.
I am trying to get it to copy some text files to a CD-R but when I push the CD-R into the slot, it seems to hesitate before dragging the disc inside. It then waits maybe 10 seconds and then you can hear a faint whirring noise from inside and then the disc is ejected.
Any thoughts and ideas much appreciated,
Steve

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Try cleaning the drive with a can of compressed air. Most stores that sell electronic and computer accessories should stock the compressed air cans. Blow a few short blasts into the slot. Hopefully that will blow away any dust or debris that might be blocking the laser light from working properly. If that doesn't work, the drive itself may be on its way out and have to be replaced.

OP
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Aluminium running at 2.4 GHz.
Thank you, chscag,
I'll try to get one of those this afternoon and give it a try.
Cheers,
Steve

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Also have you tried more than one Blank CD-R? Do they all eject? I think Charlie hit the nail on the head. Let us know what happens.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.