Spinning gear at startup

Des

Reaction score
Have an old iMac late 2006 that I was handing down to my daughter after purchasing an iMac Mini and learning the hard way that I could not use the iMac monitor as a monitor for the Mini (after being told it was possible by the Apple store sales person).

The issue is that it does not seem to be able to find the startup disk. I've tried all of the Apple advised methods including re-installing the OS. After re-install, I was happy to see that it restarted from the CD to the HD and I appeared to be back in business. Unfortunately I got the rainbow freeze and haven't been able to get back on since.

In my attempt to use the iMac as the monitor for the Mini, I may have confused the system as to which drive it wants. But when I restart with the Option key pressed, it offers my HD as a startup option but will not boot to it.

It would be odd timing to be a hardware issue but I'm reading that SATA cable could be a culprit and possibly the logic board.

Any thoughts would be appreciate as it would make a great bedroom computer for my 14 year old.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
It would be odd timing to be a hardware issue but I'm reading that SATA cable could be a culprit and possibly the logic board.

If you can successfully boot the computer from an OS disk...and have trouble booting from the hard drive...it could be that the hard drive has failed or is failing (maybe time for a new HD).

- Nick

OP
D

Des

Reaction score
Thanks, I was afraid of that

Not worth investing in a new HD for a 6 year old machine though.

OP
D

Des

Reaction score
Have an old iMac late 2006 that I was handing down to my daughter after purchasing an iMac Mini and learning the hard way that I could not use the iMac monitor as a monitor for the Mini (after being told it was possible by the Apple store sales person).

The issue is that it does not seem to be able to find the startup disk. I've tried all of the Apple advised methods including re-installing the OS. After re-install, I was happy to see that it restarted from the CD to the HD and I appeared to be back in business. Unfortunately I got the rainbow freeze and haven't been able to get back on since.

In my attempt to use the iMac as the monitor for the Mini, I may have confused the system as to which drive it wants. But when I restart with the Option key pressed, it offers my HD as a startup option but will not boot to it.

Any thoughts would be appreciate as it would make a great bedroom computer for my 14 year old.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Merged threads - please do not crosspost.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE

Why is that? A new Hard Drive is not that much $$$.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

A new or used HD would cost less than $50 bucks. I see plenty on Craig's List very cheap (and they operate fine).

A new HD only seems expensive when you aren't aware of all your options.;)

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm seeing 3rd party options for $400+. 500gb

You're clearly looking in the wrong places...and you don't need a 500gig drive.;)

- Nick

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.