Macbook Pro won't let me log in.

Reaction score
Hello! I'm new here so sorry if I put this in the wrong category or if this has been brought up and solved before.

My macbook pro (2012) won't let me log in. I enter my password and it begins to load as if it were actually logging in but then it goes back to the log in page and continues to do so no matter how many times I enter my password! My version didn't come with any disks so I don't have the option of using an Install Disk. It has also been freezing once or twice a day, is it possible I have a faulty mbp? Should I take it to the Apple Store? Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Do you only have one account on the MBP? Is this machine joined to a domain by chance? Does it matter at all if you boot the MBP in safe mode?

OP
C
Reaction score
Yes, I only have one account sadly. I don't think it's joined to a domain. I would prefer it not to be in safe mode but if that's the only way, I'll do it.

Reaction score
If this is strictly a personal machine then you won't be joined to a domain. I was just going to have you boot into another account to see if this one was faulty. You can boot into safe mode, check your startup items in your account and disable/remove them and see if it will boot normal the next time. Did you recently install anything that might have caused this issue (compatibility with a screensaver for example?) if so, when booted into safe mode, remove it and see if that helps. Keep us updated.

OP
C
Reaction score
I resolved the issue by doing the safe mode boot. It was so simple I can't believe I never thought of it! I rebooted it in safe mode and it let me log on. I didn't disable/remove any startup items but when I booted my MBP normally it let me log in with no trouble at all.
Thank you for your time!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.