Upgrading RAM beyond Apple's max

Reaction score
Hi there,

Is anyone working with a 2009 or 2010 Mac Pro that is loaded with more RAM than the limit given by Apple (16G for single processor or 32G for dual processor)? How is it working out for you?

Thanks.

Andrew

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
How is it working out for you?

First: It's probably better to refer to the Mac Pro's you mentioned as "quad-core" or "8-core". There are some 12-core models thrown in there as well.

Second: It's pretty well documented (as you probably know) that it's possible to exceed Apple's "official" max. ram in these models (48 gig for the quad-cores, 96 gig for the 8 and 12 cores).

The well-known & respected websites that convey this information only do so if the upgrade is stable. So I do not believe there are any stability problems.:)

- Nick

OP
A
Reaction score
Actually I was specifically referring to them as single processor and dual processor because it's the number of processors that define the limit... at least for the 2010 Mac Pros... regardless if the individual processors are quad or hexa.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Actually I was specifically referring to them as single processor and dual processor because it's the number of processors that define the limit... at least for the 2010 Mac Pros... regardless if the individual processors are quad or hexa.

We are probably talking about the same thing...just using different terminology.:)

- single processor (4-core or 6-core) = 48gig ram max.
- dual processor (8-core or 12-core) = 96gig ram max.

All I'm saying is...almost no one identifies Mac Pro's as "single" or "dual" processor. Folks more commonly describe Mac Pro's by the # of cores they have.:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.