How to shut down Process running in background

Reaction score
New to MACs
I am trying to update from Photoshop CS5 to PS CS6.

The iMAC won't let me and tells me PS is running. It is not up but apparently is running in the background. How do I shut it off so I can update?

Running OS X 10.6.8

Thanks,
Craig

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Photoshop should not be running in the background unless something or one of its processes is starting automatically. Anyway do this:

Open your Activity Monitor (Applications, Utilities, Activity Monitor.app) and look for any and all process that are labeled with Photoshop. When you find one highlight the process and press the quit button (looks like a stop sign) at the top menu). That will shut down the process.

After shutting all PS5 processes, you should then be able to install the PS6 upgrade. What I find strange is why the Adobe installer does not already do that for you?

OP
C
Reaction score
Thank you. I just did that and you are 100% correct in your advice. I agree that it is surprising that the installer does not take care of it.
I'm up and running with CS 6.

Cheers and Thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OK, glad you got it installed. You would think for the price Adobe charges for their software that they would make it easy to install. Have fun with CS6 and visit us often. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.