issue with 2009 aluminum macbook display

Reaction score
I've been having an issue with the display on my macbook where there's screen flicker and some screen distortion.
Apparently, it's an issue with the graphics card/logic board and I was told the first thing to do is update the drivers for the card (nvidia 9400m).

I was pointed towards this link:
NVIDIA DRIVERS 3.2.17

downloaded the driver, tried to install it and I got the message "This computer will not support this NVIDIA graphics solution". This only pops up if you're still running 10.5 (which I am), and there's a workaround where you show package contents and install the sub-packages individually.

This is where the problem starts. After the driver installed, my macbook will no longer go to sleep (display stays on all the time), I can't change the brightness anyone, it won't detect displays and I can't change the screen resolution/any display settings.

ZYVdU.png

zGjrf.png

I've reset PRAM and SMC, neither worked.
I'm not even that bothered by the screen distortion, I just want to get the display settings back to how they were originally.

Most obvious solution to me would be (a) to uninstall the drivers and/or get drivers that work, but I have no idea how to uninstall the drivers and I can't find any other drivers online; or (b) upgrade to snow leopard/lion but I have no idea if that will help anything at all.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, it's actually driving me mental now. Let me know if there's any more info I could give that would help

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Obviously, those are not the correct drivers. Restore your MacBook from your latest backup. No backup? Re-install Snow Leopard.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.