Unable to update iOS

Reaction score
Hi,

My two year old iPhone 3gs is starting to show it's age - the home button's virtually stopped working and the phone no longer rings, so I thought an iOS update would do the trick.

I first updated iTunes to the latest version (running on a Windows 7 PC), backed everything up, and when prompted selected the option to download and update my phone to the new version.

After about half an hour it appeared to have finished downloading, and then went into 'backing up' mode. It did this for a bit but then froze. After checking a couple of hours later nothing had changed so I rebooted, cleared the cache and re-connected the phone.

Same thing again, after being prompted there was a new iOS available I accepted and it went straight into 'backing up' mode and then did nothing.

Any advice welcome - I need to update so I can use the on-screen home button, as mine won't last much longer.

Thanks!

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
First restore the phone and if that succeeds, then try to do an upgrade..

Any advice welcome - I need to update so I can use the on-screen home button, as mine won't last much longer.

What on-screen home button? I have an iPhone 4 running the latest version of iOS 5 and there's no on-screen home button..

OP
F
Reaction score

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, that is totally cool! I never ventured into the Accessibility settings before..

Now mind you the 3GS can only be upgraded up to a certain version of iOS 4.x I believe, does that have those accessibility options?

OP
F
Reaction score
OK, that is totally cool! I never ventured into the Accessibility settings before..

Now mind you the 3GS can only be upgraded up to a certain version of iOS 4.x I believe, does that have those accessibility options?[/QUOTE

Ah right, I didn't realise that....good point, maybe that's what's causing my phone to freeze up during the upgrade.

I *think* it came in with v4, but I'll check!

Thanks.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hmm, looks like iPhone 3GS is compatible with iOS 5 and perhaps iOS 6 when it's released. I had a iPhone 3G and that was stuck in 4.2.1 land..so perhaps the upgrade failure is something else and a restore will knock some sense into it..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.