• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Imove 11- Sharing problems

Reaction score
Hello - and I hope someone out there can help :)

I've been using iMove for a couple of years since I got my iMac.

I now have an issue and after reading various 'answers' on forums can still not complete a job I'm doing.

The 'film' I have done runs at 1hr 43 mins, I now want to 'share' this with iDVD so I can distribute it.

It starts the process, and after about 2 hours comes up with the message 'cannot perform.....too long' - I have done films longer than this before with no problems. I also have used iDVD many times with no problems and good results.

I then decided to Export the movie via Quicktime. This process took about 12 hours. After it finished the 'film' was nowhere to be seen. Searched iMac and it was no where to be found. I tried again and got the error message '-50'

So I then tried to Export it into an AVI. Again took a fair few hours. The result was terrible. Really bad quality and sound.

So my dilemma is- I have a 1hrs 43min project that I somehow need to get off my iMac so I can burn to a DVD or even Blu-Ray with an external drive.

I am supposed to be 'showing' the film to a group of people at the end of the month and too be honest don't really want to take my iMac out on the road, plug it into a projector and show it.

Is there anything else I can try.

many thanks in advance.

OP
B
Reaction score
UPDATE MORE INFO

Thought I'd try with Toast. But get " ...Can not be used. iMovie 08 projects have to be prepared for sharing" message

iMovie08?? I'm on iMovie11.

Went back to iDVD and opened that up outside of iMovie. Then get message "project must be shared...to do this...Share>media browser"

So looked at this method and estimated time was 35 hours. Does that seem right?

If I import to .mov fille format will iDVD or Toast be able to read that file format?

Sorry for all the questions!

C

chas_m

It sounds to me very much like a) you've already successfully moved an MP4 version of this movie into the Media Browser (and the file itself would be in your iMovie Projects folder) and b) that you're running out of free disk space. You need LOTS to complete a project.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.