transferring files from external drive

Reaction score
I just replaced the hard drive on my macbook pro with the WD scorpio black. I copied all of my documents and what I thought was my photoshop, itunes music, and microsoft word to an external hard drive and just tried to copy the files back. the photoshop, itunes, and word didn't make it from what i'm seeing and I keep getting this message every time I try to copy files from the external drive to the new disk.
http://i49.tinypic.com/fwu360.png

any help? did I transfer files to the external drive incorrectly? someone help me out please

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Approved your moderated post and deleted the dupe.

Now to answer your question.....

You can not easily copy or transfer applications that have imbedded licenses (serial number activation) from one drive to another without using some type of cloning software. Two apps that will do the job are: Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper.

You may have to reinstall Photoshop and MS Office in order to get them to work on the new drive. Although iTunes should be OK. Try repairing permissions before doing anything else as that may resolve the problem. In order to repair permissions, boot from your install DVD, open Disk Utility from Utilities, and select repair permissions for the entire drive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.