Windows Media.sitx issues....

Reaction score
I'm trying to download Windows Media Player9 for Mac OSX and whenever I click on the download button and am prompted to download the file Windows Media.sitx, when the download is completed and I double click on the icon on my desktop I get the error message:

There is no default application specified to open the document "Windows Media.sitx".

If I drop the icon onto Stuffit Expander, then I get this message:

The file "Windows Media.sitx" does not appear to be compressed or encoded.

Any ideas as to my issues with downloading/running this app??

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
If you have Stuffit Expander installed it should open. Only things I can think of right now are either it's a bad download or your Stuffit Expander is an older version. Did you just download Stuffit Expander? Did you get it from Version Tracker? If yes, try grabbing Windows Media Player again. It might have been a bad download and the file is corrupted.

Update, I went to Version Tracker and grabbed Windows Media Player. When it finished I clicked on it and S†uffit expanded it just fine. It's got to be either your copy of Stuffit Expander or your download of WMP.

OP
N
Reaction score
Thanks dtravis7, my version of stuffit is V6 so I'm downloading V10. How do I remove my version6? Just drag any folder with Stuffit Expander to the trash?

I just finished installing WMP without any probs. Thankyou for your help!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.