Mountain Lion Requirement Specs Confirmed

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Everything there seems reasonable except for Power Nap which requires a MacBook Air (Late 2010 or newer) or a MacBook Pro with Retina display. Why? Does this have something to do with Flash storage?

Reaction score
Everything there seems reasonable except for Power Nap which requires a MacBook Air (Late 2010 or newer) or a MacBook Pro with Retina display. Why? Does this have something to do with Flash storage?

No it's one of the feature built into Intel 67 series chipsets..I can't remember what is called my P67 had it but my z77 board did not because it was less expensive..

Air Play mirroring is the same thing it requires a quick sync motherboard that why it's reserved for '10 and above.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Looks like my MB Pro is OK for a while longer. The Mac Pro on the other hand doesn't cut it. I might try it though just to see what happens.

Reaction score
If I read this correctly, Apple quote:

Boot Camp
Supports existing Boot Camp installations with Windows XP Service Pack 2, Windows Vista, or Windows 7. New Boot Camp installations require Windows 7 (sold separately).

I was under the impression that with the existing Lion OS, they did not support Windows XP at all, due to newer hardware not having the necessary drivers?

Either I have got this wrong, or they have backtracked. Would be good for me if they have backtracked, as I need XP, so never upgraded one of my machines from Snow Leopard.

Also, again if I read this right, they will support an upgrade from Snow Leopard for Bootcamp XP, but not a clean install, on all hardware configs they quote.

Somebody please put me right.

TA

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What it means is this: Mac hardware late 2010 and newer can only accept Windows 7 because of a lack of drivers for XP and Vista. In other words, if you have an iMac or MBP late 2010 and newer, you can only install Windows 7. Any hardware before that date will accept XP, Vista, or Windows 7.

OP
mrplow
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
The key word there is existing.

If you already have an XP install in bootcamp and you upgrade OSX you're OK. What you can't do is a fresh install of XP

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Good point. It also means if for some reason you have to reinstall XP after upgrading to ML, you're out of luck. (No drivers.) So good advice here is if you're using XP or Vista and plan on upgrading to ML, make sure you have good clone of your Boot Camp installation before doing so.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.