SILLY QUESTION ! Apologies in advance !

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Sorry. I'm not a computer guy. If you've got a spare second, I'd be so grateful for some advice with a couple of daft issues that I should really know !

I use a MacBook to run Lightroom, Photoshop, and MS Office as well as internet and email. I seriously need to upgrade this hardware because Lightroom can't handle the RAW photo files and often hangs.

1. When I upgrade the system will I need to purchase Office, Lightroom and Photoshop again ? Or can I transfer my operating system between machines ?

2. I'm having difficulty comparing iMAC and MacBook pro spec for spec, because the processors are different. Has anyone any tips on how to compare the performance of these machines ?

Thanks a lot for your help. Much appreciated !

Cheers,

John.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Hey guys,

Sorry. I'm not a computer guy. If you've got a spare second, I'd be so grateful for some advice with a couple of daft issues that I should really know !

I use a MacBook to run Lightroom, Photoshop, and MS Office as well as internet and email. I seriously need to upgrade this hardware because Lightroom can't handle the RAW photo files and often hangs.

1. When I upgrade the system will I need to purchase Office, Lightroom and Photoshop again ? Or can I transfer my operating system between machines ?

As long as you have the product keys there shouldn't be a problem. Best to goto the Adobe site and see what they have to say to make sure.

2. I'm having difficulty comparing iMAC and MacBook pro spec for spec, because the processors are different. Has anyone any tips on how to compare the performance of these machines ?

Thanks a lot for your help. Much appreciated !

Cheers,

John.

You can download Downloading Geekbench for Mac - Primate Labs or have a look at the Geekbench Mac Benchmarks page and see for yourself. Mac Benchmarks - Geekbench Browser

Cheers

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15

There are two ways to upgrade your hardware:

1. Upgrade the computer you currently have.
2. Purchasing a new computer.

I wasn't 100% sure by your post which path you're talking about. I think that you want to go the buying a new computer route...but I wasn't 100% sure.

Regarding repurchasing the software...it depends on what versions of the software you're currently running. It's possible (if the software versions are older) that you may need to repurchase them. But like I said...it depends on what versions you currently have & what OS version you're running on your current computer.

As far as performance comparison's...give this a read:

Mac Benchmarks - Geekbench Browser

HTH,:)

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Buy the mbp retina you won't be disappointed :)
You will be if you value optical drives, more than 512GB of internal storage and user upgradeable parts ;)

Reaction score
Other than a much thinner wallet!;)

- Nick

You will be if you value optical drives, more than 512GB of internal storage and user upgradeable parts ;)

1-external SuperDrive
2-external hdd(can configure up to 750gb but cheape to get external hdd)
3- sure u can't upgrade the ram so get 16gb if you really need it.

I got the base model. I have no need for optical drive if I do I'll go get a external one. Also have external hard drives
I got lucky and got it for 1700.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
1-external SuperDrive
2-external hdd(can configure up to 750gb but cheape to get external hdd)
3- sure u can't upgrade the ram so get 16gb if you really need it.

I got the base model. I have no need for optical drive if I do I'll go get a external one. Also have external hard drives
I got lucky and got it for 1700.
Yes, you did because paying for all of that will run anyone else at least $2509 (without the external HD). That's a lot to pay for the limitations. Don't get me wrong - it's an impressive machine. However, it's important to know its limits.

Reaction score
Yes, you did because paying for all of that will run anyone else at least $2509 (without the external HD). That's a lot to pay for the limitations. Don't get me wrong - it's an impressive machine. However, it's important to know its limits.

First of all, I'd like to point out everyone's needs vary.
For me I don't need bigger hdd as I have 1tb. Don't need the upgraded ram. 8 will do just well.

Before getting the retina I actually purchased the 2.6 non retina model with AG. I then returned it and got a mbp retina and was impressed.

1-thinness. 1lbs makes a diff.
2-SSD makes a huge diff. Load times were 50+ secondson the non R. Retina under 14 seconds.
3- I was able to get the retina cheaper than the non R because of apple discounts and being great customer. Only costing 1700 So I'll take that over the heavier machine with the slow speeds.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh, I agree. I know everyone's needs differ but to be fair to me, you recommended the RMBP above without saying why it would be a wiser choice.

1. Thinness - perhaps that's a personal thing as well. By the time I work my MBP into my backpack, the weight is managed well. However, I'm also used to carrying quite a bit of weight in a backpack (I'm going to be kicking myself when I'm older because of that).
2. You can put a solid state drive in a regular MBP. Arguing that flash storage is somehow unique to RMBPs isn't fair.
3. Yes, as I mentioned, you lucked out. However, for most people, the price difference will be substantial.

Again, don't get me wrong - the RMBPs are impressive machines. I'm glad you like yours and I'm sure it will serve you well. All I'm suggesting though is that it may not be the best tool for the job.

Reaction score
Oh, I agree. I know everyone's needs differ but to be fair to me, you recommended the RMBP above without saying why it would be a wiser choice.

1. Thinness - perhaps that's a personal thing as well. By the time I work my MBP into my backpack, the weight is managed well. However, I'm also used to carrying quite a bit of weight in a backpack (I'm going to be kicking myself when I'm older because of that).
2. You can put a solid state drive in a regular MBP. Arguing that flash storage is somehow unique to RMBPs isn't fair.
3. Yes, as I mentioned, you lucked out. However, for most people, the price difference will be substantial.

Again, don't get me wrong - the RMBPs are impressive machines. I'm glad you like yours and I'm sure it will serve you well. All I'm suggesting though is that it may not be the best tool for the job.

Considering my job is photography I must say this is a better choice than the non R. Specially when compared to the 2.6 model non R. which is btw the same price as the base retina model.

It comes down to everyone's personal choice and preference.

Reaction score
Back to the original question- side for side track. If you choose to upgrade your hard ware check out newegg.com or Crucial.com

However if by upgrading. You mean your entire Mac. I'll go with a mbp if portability is needed. If u want a desktop iMac would but good as well.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.