Automatic File transfer between Macs

Reaction score
Not sure if this is in the correct forum, bt here goes.

I am a photographer and use my Macbook Pro for all my day to day work. I want to know of a way to automatically copy files from a macbook pro to your iMac ? I basically want to plug my macbook in at night and it back up to the iMac, which in turn is always backing up to a 3TB Ext HD in Real Time. that way I will automatically have 2 backups.

I basically am going to start from scratch, so the 2 will be empty, My Macbook has folders set up in the pictures folder like Weddings, Studio, Press, Sport.

I want to target the Pictures folder, and copy the contents of that folder each night to the pictures folder on the iMac.

is there an apple feature than can do this or a good third party app maybe?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Take a look at this on line article which suggests several ways to sync or automatically copy the files. LINK

You might also be able to use iCloud, however, both Macs be must using at least Lion 10.7.2 or later. Check it out at this LINK.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
SkyDrive, SugarSync, and DropBox will all work but you need to first place the files and or folders you wish to sync in its folder. And of course like you said, it has to be installed on every device you wish to sync up with.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.