A bit of a long question. Thinking of moving from Windows to an iMac

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

Forgive me if this is the wrong section, I couldn't quite decide where I should post this.

I have a guy offering to straight trade me his 2009 iMac 21.5 inch for my Windows desktop. Sounds like a dream deal for most people I guess? But the thing is, my Windows machine is far beyond it spec-wise, and cost a fair bit more at the time of purchase and with the upgrades. I'm only considering it because my Windows machine is overkill for me. For what I do now, this machine is just not necessary. When I bought it, I had a real need for the power, but now I don't.

Specs for both follow. I'm mainly curious if this model iMac is getting "long in the tooth" or wouldn't be a wise choice to use over the next year/year and a half until I can afford to upgrade to a brand new Mac.

Windows Machine (7, 64bit)
3.4GHz Intel i7
NVIDIA graphics with 2GB VRAM
16GB RAM
6TB total internal storage

iMac 21.5 inch (Has Lion)
3.06GHz Core 2 Duo
8GB RAM
1TB HDD
ATI Radeon HD 4670 256MB

Now, I realize that my current machine is far, far more powerful and much better as far as a workhorse. I know it's a pretty major downgrade in hardware, that's not really my question. Most of the time, honestly I simply listen to music, browse the web, email ( a lot ), edit home videos, and watch Netflix. My only concern is the fact that I am not Mac savvy at all. I don't know if those specs are decent when it comes to running OS X or the applications I'd need to do what I want.

The main benefits I can see so far, is that number one, it will save so much clutter on the desk. I would really like that. With the way I now use my computer since my career change, I don't need the power, and as long as this iMac is still capable of doing most things, it's really an attractive option to me. What experience I have with OS X, it seems to be a really amazing OS. It seems snappier than my desktop, even with specs that far below, probably simply due to the fact that it's OS X and doesn't seem to require as much muscle behind it.

Like I said, it would likely be a year or so before I'd really be able to seriously consider purchasing a brand new iMac. Would this machine be capable and a good option in the time between?

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

Forgive me if this is the wrong section, I couldn't quite decide where I should post this.

I have a guy offering to straight trade me his 2009 iMac 21.5 inch for my Windows desktop. Sounds like a dream deal for most people I guess? But the thing is, my Windows machine is far beyond it spec-wise, and cost a fair bit more at the time of purchase and with the upgrades. I'm only considering it because my Windows machine is overkill for me. For what I do now, this machine is just not necessary. When I bought it, I had a real need for the power, but now I don't.

Specs for both follow. I'm mainly curious if this model iMac is getting "long in the tooth" or wouldn't be a wise choice to use over the next year/year and a half until I can afford to upgrade to a brand new Mac.

Windows Machine (7, 64bit)
3.4GHz Intel i7
NVIDIA graphics with 2GB VRAM
16GB RAM
6TB total internal storage

iMac 21.5 inch (Has Lion)
3.06GHz Core 2 Duo
8GB RAM
1TB HDD
ATI Radeon HD 4670 256MB

Now, I realize that my current machine is far, far more powerful and much better as far as a workhorse. I know it's a pretty major downgrade in hardware, that's not really my question. Most of the time, honestly I simply listen to music, browse the web, email ( a lot ), edit home videos, and watch Netflix. My only concern is the fact that I am not Mac savvy at all. I don't know if those specs are decent when it comes to running OS X or the applications I'd need to do what I want.

The main benefits I can see so far, is that number one, it will save so much clutter on the desk. I would really like that. With the way I now use my computer since my career change, I don't need the power, and as long as this iMac is still capable of doing most things, it's really an attractive option to me. What experience I have with OS X, it seems to be a really amazing OS. It seems snappier than my desktop, even with specs that far below, probably simply due to the fact that it's OS X and doesn't seem to require as much muscle behind it.

Like I said, it would likely be a year or so before I'd really be able to seriously consider purchasing a brand new iMac. Would this machine be capable and a good option in the time between?

You have a nice, not great Windows machine and you're considering trading it for a much less powerful computer iMac..

The iMac will do what you want now and likely in the future.

i7 2600
MoBo?
Nvidia 560 ti?
16GB RAM
Some HD's

If you're going to keep the storage it'll need to be external therefore clutter.
I don't think I'd make that trade particularly if it's a k processor. The 67/68/77 chipsets really are the best in a lone time.

OP
O
Reaction score
You have a nice, not great Windows machine and you're considering trading it for a much less powerful computer iMac..

The iMac will do what you want now and likely in the future.

i7 2600
MoBo?
Nvidia 560 ti?
16GB RAM
Some HD's

If you're going to keep the storage it'll need to be external therefore clutter.
I don't think I'd make that trade particularly if it's a k processor. The 67/68/77 chipsets really are the best in a lone time.

Thanks for the input! Yeah, I am considering it. He's offered to pay some cash to make the deal "more fair" for me, which makes it even a little more tempting. I realize it's a big hit in hardware, but like I said I don't really have a need for so much power at the moment. After changing jobs, my needs for the storage, processing power, and graphics card are no longer present. My own personal files take up MAYBE 300-400GB. The 6TB was all business. About the most intense thing I'd be doing with it would be light photo editing and possibly cutting up/editing the odd family video every now and then.

I just am not familiar enough with OS X to know what is decent and what I need to stay away from. My uses are fairly light and as long as this iMac is a viable machine to use over the next year and a half or so, that's the main concern I have with it. Thanks again! Every bit of knowledge helps!

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Based on the use you've said so far, and the fact that you're getting an iMac and cash, that iMac will serve you fine. You'll find that OS X tends to work better on what (by the numbers) might seem to be a lesser machine than one running Windows. So you might not notice any decrease in performance, if anything it might just fit you..

OS X is quite a different OS, so it might take you a little bit to ease into it..

OP
O
Reaction score
Based on the use you've said so far, and the fact that you're getting an iMac and cash, that iMac will serve you fine. You'll find that OS X tends to work better on what (by the numbers) might seem to be a lesser machine than one running Windows. So you might not notice any decrease in performance, if anything it might just fit you..

OS X is quite a different OS, so it might take you a little bit to ease into it..

Thanks! Yeah, he called this morning not long after I made that post to offer some cash with it. Well, I played with it a bit yesterday when he talked about it. Even with the lower specs on paper, it seems much snappier to me just doing the basics. I know that just by the nature of OS X it's hardware needs are not as high as Windows per task being done, to an extent. I know that iMac won't be good for any of the really extreme tasks, but like I said, I don't really have a need for that much power. Even if I pass on the deal & just wait until I save for a brand new iMac, I won't be getting the top of the line, I simply don't need it.

Thanks again!

Reaction score
Thanks for the input! Yeah, I am considering it. He's offered to pay some cash to make the deal "more fair" for me, which makes it even a little more tempting. I realize it's a big hit in hardware, but like I said I don't really have a need for so much power at the moment. After changing jobs, my needs for the storage, processing power, and graphics card are no longer present. My own personal files take up MAYBE 300-400GB. The 6TB was all business. About the most intense thing I'd be doing with it would be light photo editing and possibly cutting up/editing the odd family video every now and then.

I just am not familiar enough with OS X to know what is decent and what I need to stay away from. My uses are fairly light and as long as this iMac is a viable machine to use over the next year and a half or so, that's the main concern I have with it. Thanks again! Every bit of knowledge helps!

Trade and cash changes things a bit..

Make the trade, I do all of the thngs you do and more on a less powerful machine. When the trade happens make sure to get the grey install disk's I cannot stress this enough, if the person doesn't have them see if apple will send them some new ones. You will need the grey disks sometime!!

Remember OSX is not Windows don't expect things to work the same way. Tip to install something double click on the .dmg and drag the icon to the applications folder.

OP
O
Reaction score

Make the trade, I do all of the thngs you do and more on a less powerful machine. When the trade happens make sure to get the grey install disk's I cannot stress this enough, if the person doesn't have them see if apple will send them some new ones. You will need the grey disks sometime!!

Remember OSX is not Windows don't expect things to work the same way. Tip to install something double click on the .dmg and drag the icon to the applications folder.

Yeah, that made me feel a little more sure of it all as well. He does have the discs, thanks for reminding me to make sure I get them though! I've used the machine for around an hour, it works fine, I couldn't see any damage or anything to indicate it's got problems. Thanks for the tip! I'm sure I'll be around here looking for more! I'm thinking I'll go ahead and make the jump later today. Thanks for the info guys!

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Just wanted to re-iterate Germany_chris' sound advice, make sure you get the original discs that came with the iMac. Having all of the original packaging makes it eve better..

OP
O
Reaction score
Just wanted to re-iterate Germany_chris' sound advice, make sure you get the original discs that came with the iMac. Having all of the original packaging makes it eve better..

Will do! He does have the packaging as well. He's about like me, any electronics always end up getting the packaging saved. Proves to be valuable come resale time!

Should I keep Lion on it, or go back to it's original OS X version?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Original packaging is good..and unless there is a specific reason for you go back, I'd stick with Lion..

Reaction score
You should repair permissions after you get the machine. If this guy is a PC guy he may have not maintained the machine. Also say good bye to the anti virus hassle.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.