• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

new here

M

Mr. Cherry Legg

hi, im new to the forums. im soon considering switching from windows to mac (im a windows user) im getting sick of windows. i've already tryed linux, that wasnt really my thing. any suggestions you have would be greatly welcomed, thanks.

OP
H

Harryc

Start by listing what you use a computer for, if you require portability, and what your budget is.

I know the name sounds bad... I couldn't fit an "s" on the end

Drop the period after Mr. then it will fit :).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookPro 15.4, 2.2ghz i7 (Late 2011), Macbook 1,1 1.83ghz CoreDuo
welcome to the club!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
mynameis said:
Don't switch, expand...

I like that.. Its true, keep your windows machine becaues you never know when you might want to use it again. Mac is amazing but every once in a while you do find a program that is only avaiable on windows or runs better on windows, pluss its always better for the games.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
PowerBookG4 said:
I like that.. Its true, keep your windows machine becaues you never know when you might want to use it again. Mac is amazing but every once in a while you do find a program that is only avaiable on windows or runs better on windows, pluss its always better for the games.
I dunno about that.... I haven't fired up my Windows box in a very long time. Not even at work since i brought in my G4

OP
M

Mr. Cherry Legg

thankyou very much. i wouldn't mind going for the iBook, i could move it around the house and not be sitting at the same desk all the time. plus i do some occasional lan partying and the portability would come in handy. we mainly play battlefield 1942, and theres a port for mac thats compatible with windows versions. i mainly use my computer for internet and photo editing, and the occasional game.

Reaction score
Benjamindaines said:
I dunno about that.... I haven't fired up my Windows box in a very long time. Not even at work since i brought in my G4

Just wondering, what kind of job do you have that lets you bring in your own comp to work on? Sounds like a great place to work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
I work in the R + D department at GSK I really only use the computer for lotus notes (I amazingly persuaded the department to purchase me a copy of it for Mac.)

OP
M

Mr. Cherry Legg

i'm considering the iBook, should i go for the current G4 or at least wait untill the intel iBooks come out and take a look then?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
intel is mid to late 06 and 07

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.