No start up after power surge on 17" intel iMac - Only flickering sleep light.

Reaction score
Hi All,

There was a power outage in my area a few nights ago. After the power was restored I noticed that my wife's 17" Late 2006 intel iMac won't power up. I tried unplugging it, restarting, clearing the PRAM etc., but still nothing. I have noticed on occasion though that the sleep light comes on very dimly when the computer is supposed to be on. I was just wondering if anyone could help me figure out what the problem might be. Oh, and did have it connected to a surge protector when this happened.

Thanks,

David

OP
D
Reaction score
Yes, actually tried to plug it directly into a wall outlet and still nothing.....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
Sometimes power surges are enough to overpower even surge protectors and fry your precious electronics, I have a feeling this is what happened in your case. Any number of things could've fried within the Mac, power supply, logic board, HD, etc. Since it's a 2006 Model, you probably are no longer covered under any warranty and the cost of repairs would likely be more than the computer is actually worth.

Sorry.

OP
D
Reaction score
Hi MacDude121,

That's kind of what I'm afraid of. I was thinking about ordering a new power supply (for $150) and putting it in myself, but then what if it didn't solve the problem? I should try to take the hard drive out. Hopefully it isn't damaged as there are some important things on there that haven't been backed up lately (whoops.)

Thanks for your input!

David

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Before ordering a new power supply, remove the plug from the AC line and let the iMac sit for awhile. After 15 minutes or so, try to start it up again. If it still won't start go to iFixit: The free repair manual and take a look at the disassembly instructions to get at the power supply. It's not an easy repair.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
I see a lot of power supply failures recently in iMac's using the 661-3780 psu such as yours, mostly after power surges. Apples replacement, same P/N, are of a different design.

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks chscag! I agree with you that it's not an easy repair. I'm not sure what I'm going to do at this point....

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You need to consider if it will be worth the time and money spent to repair your wife's iMac. It's a 2006 17" model which is not worth very much. You may wind up spending more money to repair it than it's worth. Of course, a new iMac at the very least is going to cost over $1000. Difficult choice to make.

OP
D
Reaction score
I tried to suggest that she take my 24" iMac and I would upgrade to a new 27", but she's not buying that idea so far :) - Hers is on the bar in our kitchen, it's white and looks more "kitchen friendly" than the newer, brushed aluminum models...

Reaction score
I was just wondering if anyone could help me figure out what the problem might be.
I could state exactly what was defective IF you had posted important numbers. Apparently your power system has failed. The power system is many components - not just a supply. One minute with a $7 meter means numbers from six wires. Then what has failed is quickly obvious.

For example, what decides if a power supply can power? The power controller. What would damage that? Well, a protector too far from earth ground and too close to a computer can bypass superior protection inside the PSU. Connect a surge to earth destrictuvely via other parts including the motherboard. Then the power controller would fail and not power on the PSU.

The one minute of labor can be defines only if you are interested. Most who work on computers are too afraid of the $7 meter. Ironic since iPads and iPhones are many times more complex.

Without numbers, then do the other choice. Just keep replacing good parts until something works. Also called shotgunning. You have two choices. Replace only the defective part. And actually learn how computers really work. Or shotgun. Without hard facts (ie numbers from a meter), then every reply can only be 'replace this or maybe replace that'.

Meanwhile, learn something from your experience. Read the manufacture specifications for that protector. It did exactly what the manufacturer said it would do. As with the meter, you must ask to learn more and to learn of solutions that can make future damage virtually impossible.

OP
D
Reaction score
Dear westom,

Thanks for your input. Yes, you are correct in that I didn't give you any numbers, important or otherwise. I was simply asking for suggestions. I've never used a multimeter, but am quite proficient in using both the iPad and iPhone, so it shouldn't be a big deal to use one. Thanks for challenging me to expand my knowledge! Perhaps I will be able to post some numbers soon.....

OP
D
Reaction score
No power & strange light behavior

Hello all,

I posted a similar question a few days ago regarding my iMac, but I have a new development. to summarize, there was a power outage a few days ago and my iMac hasn't powered on since. I had it plugged in to a surge protector and have gone through the steps to reset the PRAM, etc. I noticed earlier today that when I start the computer the led on the front panel glows fairly bright. When I plug the USB keyboard in, the light goes completely off. This makes me think that it may be the logic board (as opposed to the power supply.) Any suggestions or thoughts?

OP
D
Reaction score
Hello all,

I posted a similar question a few days ago regarding my iMac, but I have a new development. to summarize, there was a power outage a few days ago and my iMac hasn't powered on since. I had it plugged in to a surge protector and have gone through the steps to reset the PRAM, etc. I noticed earlier today that when I start the computer the led on the front panel glows fairly bright. When I plug the USB keyboard in, the light goes completely off. This makes me think that it may be the logic board (as opposed to the power supply.) Any suggestions or thoughts?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Tell me something, was this Power outage just the power going out cleanly and coming back on later, or due to a Thunderstorm with a lot of Lightning?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Time for a new iMac when it is released. Gives you the perfect excuse.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Time for a new iMac when it is released. Gives you the perfect excuse.

His wife says no way and that the new iMac would look ugly in her kitchen! :D

Reaction score
I posted a similar question a few days ago regarding my iMac, but I have a new development. to summarize, there was a power outage a few days ago and my iMac hasn't powered on since.
But again, the protector may have simply made surge damage easier. Or may be completely irrelevant. You also posted no hard facts with numbers. Therefore those with the most computer knowledge cannot post anything useful.

That leaves two choices. Do a full minute of labor to post numbers from a meter (but you must ask what to measure). Or just start replacing good parts until something works - shotgunning.

If only using posted facts, shotgunning is the only possible recommendation.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@dkaff:

Please do not cross post. You've got answers coming all over the forum because of the multiple posts. I've merged your posts together here. Let's keep everything in this one thread. Thanks.

OP
D
Reaction score
Hi dtravis7,

No thunderstorm or adverse weather conditions. Apparently someone ran into a power box. The power went out, came back on for about 2 seconds, went out again, came on for a few more seconds and then went off again for a few hours.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.