iMac G3 OS X Installation Problem

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new here.

I have been trying for the past 2 days to install OS X Panther on my iMac G3, but when I open the install window and click restart, I get the following message: "An error occurred. 'Startup disk was unable to select the install CD as the startup disk. (-2).'"

I have tried starting up in different modes(startup disk, etc.), but it always results in booting off the hard drive.

I have an iMac G3 DV slot loading 400MHz and the install discs are retail versions.

It is running OS 9.2.2

The firmware updates are done, and the CD/DVD drive works as I have tested it. I am also using all the original hardware.

Reaction score
Insert the install cd and restart. Hold down the "C" key right after the startup chime until you get the apple screen. It should boot from the cd. If not you may have other problems.

OP
M
Reaction score
Insert the install cd and restart. Hold down the "C" key right after the startup chime until you get the apple screen. It should boot from the cd. If not you may have other problems.

Yes, that was the first thing I had tried, but it results in it staying on a grey screen for about ten seconds and then booting up from the hard drive.

Reaction score
You can try starting with option held down for a boot menu but it sounds like you might have an unbootable disk.
Where exactly did you get a Panther disk? This isn't something you burned is it?

OP
M
Reaction score
When I start with the option key, the CD icon shows up and once I click it, it just reloads the icons and does not start. I can only boot from the hard drive. I even tested it with the original OS 8 CD that came with the Mac. It will not boot up from that either. I was able to install Mac OS 9 since it can install even after the computer has booted from the hard drive.

Also, I borrowed the CD's from the same person who gave me the iMac. He has worked with Macs all his life.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Looks like a failed optical drive. Alas slot loaders are prone to this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well maybe the OS X disc is not a full retail install DVD but perhaps a silver/grey install disc from another machine? If so that will never work. And you are sure the Firmware is version 4.1.9?

OP
M
Reaction score
Well maybe the OS X disc is not a full retail install DVD but perhaps a silver/grey install disc from another machine? If so that will never work. And you are sure the Firmware is version 4.1.9?

No, the install disc is a retail version. That I am sure of (it is also not a single DVD, but 3 install CDs)

I also did the firmware update to 4.1.9 which I downloaded directly from Apple's website. Since OS 9 would not load web pages properly, I downloaded the firmware update from a newer Mac, copied the file to my USB flash drive and updated the firmware from there. When it was finished it did not give me any errors, but could my method have caused any problems?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Retail install DVDs come in a single format so they are certainly CDs. Have never seen firmware update installed other than downloading whilst in OS 9, running, and using the Programmers button. When OS X was released there was a huge outcry about Firmware updates. At that time thought was trying to install OS X without the update would destroy the mobo.

OP
M
Reaction score
So, should I redo the firmware update or something? I really don't know what to do at this point.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You were able to install OS 9. is it 9.2 or later? If so try the firmware update again with instructions and download from Apple's web site. Here is the link with instructions, including using the Programmer button, and download.

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1283?viewlocale=en_US

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.