Need to convince boss iphone over Blackberry!!

Reaction score
So my company generally issues Blackberrys as work cell phones. I inquired about an iPhone because I don't want two phones, but if I'm stuck with a Blackberry, then I am NOT getting rid of my personal iPhone. The only way I can do this is if I can come up with some arguments of why I need an iPhone.

Does anyone have any thoughts? Maybe apps that are good for work that are available on iPhone but not Blackberry?? or any anti RIM news points...Any ideas would be greatly apprectiated. If it helps, I work as a commodity trader in the agricultural industry.

Thanks in adnvance!

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Honestly, if you're company uses BBs, there's likely a reason. However, that doesn't mean that an iPhone won't work. What you need to do is find out why the company uses BlackBerries and then see if you can get equivalent functionality out of your iPhone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 27" iMAC 3 GHz Intel Core i5, 1TB HD, Radeon Pro 570X 4 GB graphics card, 8 GB DDR4 RAM
It's not really your boss you need to convince; it's your IT department. I work for the federal government and I'm told it's for security reasons we are issued BB's.

Good luck.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
There's that as well. I'm not sure what kind of security you need for commodity trading but, although BlackBerries may make people want to throw things sometimes, they do have a more comprehensive security framework than other platforms.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
It also depends on what you are using for servers.

For example, if you are in an Exchange environment - If you are Blackberry Exclusively they could just be running the BES and leave all the EAS stuff off. If you are running older Exchange software this could really be true.

The Blackberry backend software does a lot of stuff behind the scenes and also keeps everything encrypted throughout the chain. There was a whole bru-haha when Saudi Arabia wanted access to the Blackberry services
https://www.google.com/webhp?source...sb&fp=d898465e17f33b65&ion=1&biw=1159&bih=929
Blackberry finally relented and put some servers under Saudi Control. But that being said - that type of encryption across the chain is required for some applications (government for example)

IT Staff is particular about what they want to support - it isn't just your boss you have to convince. Believe me - I have a Mac I bought personally that I use for work. I got everything working on it - (Some stuff doesn’t work on the PC of all things) I tried to get my company to buy me a Mac and IT said no even though my boss said yes.

C

chas_m

I don't think you need to risk antagonizing your boss. At the rate RIM is going, by this time next year they will be broken up and sold off.

In terms of security that's a laugh. There's nothing on the BB that's more secure than on the iPhone.

Now perhaps there are some other features or a service contract or some other reason (other than pure preference) why work wants to stick with BB, that's fine ... I just hate it when they lie about why.

As I say, I don't think you have terribly long to wait before the company will start looking around for alternatives.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
In terms of security that's a laugh. There's nothing on the BB that's more secure than on the iPhone.
Except that it is and widely recognized as such (here, here and here for instance). Care to support that argument?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
It really comes down to how the BB is being used in your environment. For us, we are strictly BB with Blackberry Exchange Services (BES) that works directly with Microsoft Exchange. It manages all IT policies on the phones as well as automatic updates and installs of corporate apps.

Can this be done with the iPhone? Of course, but only if the infrastructure is in place. My company is looking into BYOD, however most employees who have participated in the round tables have been against it. They do not want IT managing personal devices just to get corporate email. They are overwhelmingly leaning to carrying two devices instead.

C

chas_m

Except that it is and widely recognized as such (here, here and here for instance). Care to support that argument?

I'll do my best!

Link #1: does not actually say anywhere except for one paragraph that BBM is more secure than iOS. The entire article basically says "Blackberry because IT depts like it better" but admits that iPhones have largely caught up on security.

Here's the paragraph in question: "iOS and Android now support encryption, forced PIN entry, remote wipes and other security capabilities, but Croft says RIM security is simply more robust and easier to implement. BlackBerry messages are routed through RIM’s Network Operations Center, and while this produces an extra point of failure, it also adds extra layers of encryption, Croft says. Moreover, he argues that it requires far more planning to set up a proper security system around consumer devices like iPhone and Android than it does with BlackBerry Enterprise Server.

i. So BBM adds "extra layers" of security. Except that they no longer do:
BlackBerry messenger service no more secure now

Plus there's that "extra point of failure" thing, which bit them pretty hard a while back.

And if you think for one second that the US government has less access than the Indian government -- well ...

ii. I will accept the argument that it takes more planning (not "far" more, but more) to learn how to deploy Mac OS X Server (and possibly new equipment) or iPhone Configurator than it does to sign up with BBES. It's a one-time thing, but it's an extra step. Granted.

Second link:

Rates BB 7 higher than iOS 5, but mentions no reasons why. All the factors mentioned (built-in security, application security, authentication, device wipe, device firewall and virtualization) are present in iOS 5. But they DID rate it higher, so I would give a point to you on this -- EXCEPT that iOS 5.1 came out with extra security features and iOS 6 will be out this fall with even more. BBX isn't scheduled until sometime next year.

iOS 5.1 Adds Unannounced Security And Management Features | Cult of Mac

Apple iOS 6 Tightens iPhone, iPad App Security - Technology & science - Security - msnbc.com

I'm calling that a wash unless you have a newer link that tests it against the CURRENT iOS version.

Third link is hopelessly out of date (it's from two years ago) -- RIM capitulated to various governments and now allows monitoring of BBM traffic:
http://crackberry.com/indian-government-now-able-tap-bbm-messages

So at the end of this, I think it's fair to say that BBM doesn't have the advantages you imagined it did, but it still hangs on to the slightest of slight ease-of-setup (maybe), more layers, and the hearts of IT bullies. That's a (small but palpable) advantage, so I grant you that the blanket statement "BBM is more secure than iOS" is inaccurate but not incorrect.

But I think it's also fair to say that whatever headstart RIM had in this area is fading fast, and not just due to improvements in iOS -- Windows Phone is likely working on improvements in this regard as well. And I'm not even factoring that RIM is in real trouble and could possibly be bought out, taken over or just go under into this.

IMO, by this fall there will be no real difference in the quality of corporate security features on the two operating systems, and I doubt there's a whole lot of difference (other than bias/personal preference) for any company this side of the NSA right now.

To put this another way, the President of the United States still has his Blackberry -- but he also has an iPad, just like most other government leaders in the civilised world. If you couldn't secure the iPad, he (and they) simply wouldn't be allowed to have one.

Obama-ipad-briefing.jpg

Reaction score
Sure, tell them that you need it cause you use the viber app which makes you able to call your family or work or whatever cause viber on blackberry works only text no voice calls

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.