Multiple iTunes Libraries

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2.26Ghz 8GB RAM
I would like to back up my iTunes Music file to DVDs but since it runs to more capacity than a single DVD, I wondered if I can create separate libraries with a separate iTunes Music file. Is this possible please and, if so, how is it done?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Your iTunes library and the actual music files can be backed up separately. You can create multiple libraries, but then you'd have to pull it back together in the future if want to return stuff from your backup.

In your ~/iTunes folder is the actual library that should only be a few hundred meg at best based on the size of your overall music library. Your music files might be there or elsewhere. If they are in the same folder, then make sure to backup just the library on one DVD and backup your music files into as many DVD's as it takes.

When you want to bring everything back, just re-create the library and music folders the way you have it right now and iTunes will find everything (this is a good reason to backup the files AS they are with all the folders as opposed to JUST the music files)..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch 2014 Retina MacBook Pro, 2012 Mac Mini, 160GB iPod Classic, iPhone 5
In your ~/iTunes folder is the actual library that should only be a few hundred meg at best based on the size of your overall music library.
Mine is 443.13GB. I use a 1TB RAID 0 (2x500GB) for my main music drive, a striped RAID 1 (2x1TB) for my first backup, and a 1TB single drive as my redundant backup. Super Duper keeps everything synchronized. This scheme has saved me a couple of times over the years. Hard drives will fail, and only a good backup plan will protect your data.

If you have a small iTunes collection the DVD idea will work, but keep in mind that every time you add something to iTunes your backups are now obsolete. Yes, you can sort by date and back up only your recent additions, but how often do you want to do that and how many DVDs are you willing to keep cataloged and sorted? Also realize that having only one backup on any medium is not a good idea. You'll need two copies of each DVD for safety.

Using a hard drive as your backup is inexpensive and painless. You can use Carbon Copy Cloner (free) or Super Duper (cheap) to automate your backups, and you will always have a current copy (or preferably two) of your iTunes library.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Mine is 443.13GB.

How much of that 443.13GB is JUST the iTunes library files (database) and how much is your media?

All of my media is sitting on a NAS and takes up about 250GB while my iTunes folder on my Mac just contains the iTunes library and though I haven't sized it recently, I'd venture that it isn't enormous by any regard..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The Music folder is about 300GB for 30,086 tracks. Podcasts take 94.64GB. Yeah, I know. I have more podcasts than I'll ever be able to listen to. The rest of the collection is Mobile Apps, a few movies, some TV episodes, iTunes U etc.

Good thing I stocked up on hard drives when they were cheap.;)

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2.26Ghz 8GB RAM
Thanks for the advice. Everything will be backed up using Carbon Copy Cloner & Time Machine as well so I'm not restricted to just DVDs. I can't afford another drive so will try and update my backup or add to the CDs backed up every month or so but iTunes won't change drastically over time but more than anything I want to protect the two playlists I have created on specific music important to me which would take ages to try and re-create. Also I'm only talking about 6 or 7 GB of music altogether. Thanks again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sounds like you have a good plan. and protecting playlists is important. Managing backups of a small library such as yours should not be difficult on DVDs.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.