Bootcamp Windows 7 OEM, retail?

Reaction score
Hello,
I just purchased a Macbook pro and need to run Windows 7 on it as well. This is my first MAC and I'm very happy with my purchase and need to learn it. I've read some posts that seem to conflict on how Windows should be installed on the mac regarding OEM and full retail version, its seems I cant find a straight answer. Some say it wont work technically if you install the OEM version, some say it will, some say it's legal which others say the contrary. I understand that an OEM version of Windows should only stay on the first machine it's installed on and if the machine dies, so does the OEM. But since my MAC doesnt have Windows on it yet can it not be considered OEM, or do I need to purchase the Windows 7 full retail version?
Can someone please give me advice on how I can proceed? Thanks!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
You can use either OEM or retail. It doesn't matter.

Technically, OEM is supposed to be installed on a new PC - and when it is, the license is tied to that hardware (in other words, you can't install it on any other piece of hardware). So, if you wanted to try it first on a virtual machine (like in VMWare Fusion or Parallels) and later opted for Boot Camp, you might have some trouble with product activation. But I don't think it's a showstopper either way.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MB Pro, 2.66 i7 ; 11” MBA 1.8GZ i7; 13"MBA 2GZ i7 8 GB mem 512GB SSD, 2 iPad3s, 1 iPad Mini
Just buy it. The OEM version was bought and paid for with another machine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.