Need help identifying a broke piece!

Reaction score
Hi guys, I was hoping someone could help me figure out if there is something possibly wrong with my macbook. It is a macbook pro 15" 2010 and today I noticed this guy dangling right by my ram card and battery.
2iotmu.jpg

If you can't see it, the bracket between the 2 black screws in the middle of the picture has snapped in half and they are freely rotating on each screw.

My macbook is still working fine except for spontaneous erratic trackpad behavior which I always had and so I want to know what is this piece and is it going to be a problem??

Thank you!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You may be able to identify it by going to iFixit: The free repair manual and look up the take apart instructions for your model MBP. The instructions are step by step and parts are called out. That bracket may or may not be called out but it should give you some idea what it's for.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
A support from the bottom case locates into this, so that the bottom is supported and doesn't push into the logic board. Look at the bottom case inside, you will see the metal support that locates in it. Has the bottom case had a bang close to this? Never seen one broken before.

OP
A
Reaction score
Steve, you are totally right! I really have no recollection of ever banging my laptop on the bottom but I guess I did at some point... I super glued the bracket back together, but a part of the plastic that has broken off is nowhere to be found. Would this partial fix be adequate or is it important that I completely replace it?

And sorry to change topics, but do you or anyone else know any other good fixes to the erratic trackpad?? I tried the p-ram reset, the smc reset, cleaning my trackpad thoroughly, washing my hands, etc but the symptoms keep coming back!!!! It is driving me nuts and it deleted my post 3 times while writing this reply...

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
And sorry to change topics, but do you or anyone else know any other good fixes to the erratic trackpad?? I tried the p-ram reset, the smc reset, cleaning my trackpad thoroughly, washing my hands, etc but the symptoms keep coming back!!!! It is driving me nuts and it deleted my post 3 times while writing this reply...

Regarding the trackpad issue. The broken bracket shouldn't have anything to do with the function of the trackpad. If the trackpad is erratic...and all OS software is up to date then you could try:

- Booting from an OS DVD or OS USB stick to see of the trackpad issues persist. If they do...then it's a hardware issue. If they don't...then it's a software issue on the internal HD.
- If it's a software issue...you may have some sort of 3rd party software installed on your HD (especially for other input devices)...that may be "confusing" the trackpad.
- If it's a hardware issue...you may need to replace the trackpad (it is a separate part).

HTH,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
Sounds as if you have a faulty trackpad, 2 issues I see with them is erratic behaviour and the clicker failing. With some the trackpad cable runs straight up to the logic board, with others it runs under the logic board for some distance before terminating, hope you have the easy one to fit. Don't be tempted to pull off the black tape on the trackpad rear, unclip the flex cable, and use the existing cable to make fitting easier. Apple recommend never doing this as the trackpads are factory calibrated with the cable fitted.

OP
A
Reaction score
Thank you guys for all the support. I'm going to try all the suggestions and if all else fails, I'll take my laptop to the Genius Bar.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.