Streaming Over Network

T

Teh_Fonz

I'm brand new to Mac's and OS X and even iTunes.

i was wondering if there was anyway to stream a windows SMB share over a network with iTunes.

When i try it just copies the files over. even when i have my mp3 player (an iRiver) connected it copies the files into the iTunes folder.

i even tried Windows Media Player to no Avail.

any help would be very much appreciated :)

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
if you have a network just turn on sharing in iTunes and make sure the mac is set to look for shared directories

OP
T

Teh_Fonz

Look for Shared Folders is turned on in iTunes but still when I navigate in Finder to (or in iTunes to add to the library or import) it still copies the folder over.

If I could play over the network without copying the folder that would be so awesome and I would absolutely LOVE iTunes

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Just open iTunes on both computers, make sure music sharing is enabled in the preferences and your library should appear in the playlist area on the windows pc...

(Check the sharing system preference to make sure your firewall isn't blocking the sharing).

OP
T

Teh_Fonz

Thanks for the reply trpnmonkey41 & Aptmunich.

so i need iTunes installed on my windows PC for my Powerbook to view the Shared folders (i want my music to stay on my windows PC as it has a larger storage capacity)

Thanks for the help guys

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Yep, have iTunes on each computer, make sure the PC which has the music is set to share the music, iTunes on the Mac will detect the Windows iTunes and put it in the source list on the left so you can play the music without having it download it to your computer

OP
T

Teh_Fonz

trpnmonkey41 said:
Yep, have iTunes on each computer, make sure the PC which has the music is set to share the music, iTunes on the Mac will detect the Windows iTunes and put it in the source list on the left so you can play the music without having it download it to your computer

thanks for your help :)

OP
T

Teh_Fonz

I found a way to do i without using iTunes on the Windows PC
iTunes > Preferences > Advanced
Uncheck "Copy files to iTunes Music folder when adding to library"

Works a treat. coupled with Air Tunes & Salling Clicker i am invincible.!!!
Thanks for your help guys. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.