PM G5 Resurrection

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook Pro i5 / 4GB / 250GB
PM G5 Resurrection --resolved--

I was able to use a knife and a magnifying glass to correct the bent pins on CPU0 on my DP2.0ghz.

Here is an easy one: radon 9600 128mb or nvidia 5200 64mb?

Here is an intermediate one: after installed, can I delete the packages from library/combo update/packages/ ? It is taking up 768mb of space.

And the hard one:
The fans are always at the highest speed. When I open the case and remove the baffle, they are not as loud. If I just angle the baffle in, the red light goes out and the fans launch. Any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
When you removed the processors, did you note their positions and put them back the same? If not the fans will run fast. Either rotate them, or calibrate from the G5's ASD DVD if you have it.

Reaction score
The PowerPC force isn't as strong here as Mac Rumors. I know you haven't been getting good answers to your questions there either so I'll take a shot.

The red led to indicate that the baffle is in is a sensor on the far right hand slot that recieves the baffle.

You need the ASD to do a thermal calibration, if you remove the processors you have to calibrate.

If you do remove the packages from library/combo update/packages/ and it boots please let me know.

OP
Zeke_D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ASD solved it for me. I have been using it for four days now. With the exception of it not waking from sleep and restart being problematic, it is in use right now.

The lack of PPC action was one of the reasons I migrated to macrumors.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Cool beans. Glad you got it sorted. I wish I owned a PPC G5 Power Mac as that is the only older Mac I have no real experience with. Only put in memory and a hard drive for a friend.

Thanks Chris for helping them!!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I wish I owned a PPC G5 Power Mac as that is the only older Mac I have no real experience with.

Hey buddy...they're selling rather cheap on e-Bay. I saw one go for as little as $55 + shipping!!!:)

- Nick

Reaction score
ASD solved it for me. I have been using it for four days now. With the exception of it not waking from sleep and restart being problematic, it is in use right now.

The lack of PPC action was one of the reasons I migrated to macrumors.

Where did you pick up the ASD? I'd like to get my hands on the appropriate one but can't find it anywhere..I'm inclined to go to Seibold & Partner - Ihr Apple Händler in Stuttgart and see if they have one...

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Reaction score
I have had many people ask about that ASD. Let us know.

OK, do you have ASD 2.6.3 (which I believe is correct for a G5 quad) for reasonable price..I know they're not much in use anymore so I hope you can help a PowerPC guy out. Let me know the price and a PayPal address or a phone number so I can pay with my CC.

OP
Zeke_D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I found it on one of the popular sites in SE. 2.5.7 worked for me.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.