poor image quality when connecting MacBook Pro with

Reaction score
Hi there!

I am using a MacBook Pro (Mac OS X 10.6.8, 13"), which I would like to connect with a wider screen, 21" or 22".

As I cannot afford buying an Apple monitor, I looked for another solution.

Using a mini-display port to HDMI adapter and an HDMI cable, I tried connecting my Mac to full HDTV - I tried Orion, Samsung and LG. It worked, but the image in the big screen is of rather poor quality.

When I discussed about it with the guy in the Apple section of the store, he told me that Apple monitors have a higher resolution (2560x1440), and this is what I need - but, as I said, I cannot afford this.

Any ideas for improving the poor quality of the full HDTV?

Many thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
One helpful hint:

Make sure whichever external monitor or large screen you attach, that you set your MBP to display the external monitor at its native resolution.

In order to do that, you will have to close the lid of your MBP and run it in clamshell mode. For that you will need an external keyboard and mouse. See the following Apple KB article which explains how. LINK

And by the way, the "Apple guy" at Best Buy (assuming it was Best Buy) apparently does not understand what native resolution is or he would have told you what I pointed out above. Always try to buy or get advice on Apple products from an Apple store not Best Buy. (if possible)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.