Partitioning

Reaction score
I am a newby.
I wish to partition the HD
When I bring up "Boot Camp", I insert the requested DVD to be burned. After this is done, I select the type of partition, i.e. 50%.and the click install.
The computer cannot find the disc!!!
I have repeated this procedure 3 times with same result.
In between, I have used the CMD -R commands and tried to repair the disc with the Disc Utility.
All to no avail.
My computer: MACBOOK PRO, OS X Ver 10.7.
What should I do now?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch 2014 Retina MacBook Pro, 2012 Mac Mini, 160GB iPod Classic, iPhone 5
What is your goal?

C

chas_m

Can you be just a wee bit more specific? Half the entire hard drive seems like a little bit much to be giving to just Boot Camp.

Are you following these instructions to use Boot Camp to create a Windows partition? Are you using the Boot Camp Assistant as found in your Utility folder?

OP
S
Reaction score
Sorry to be vague, I'm a bit in the dark!!
I desire to have a partition. I thought 50/50 was a good ratio. However, I note in the instructions to which you referred, that I will need some type of Windows 7 installation disc.I only have the Windows 7 that came installed on my PC.
Now my questions are:
1. What is your recommended partition ratio?
2. Can I move/copy Windows 7 from a PC?
I have other questions, but perhaps solving these first will be enough for now.
Thanks for your patience.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
1. What is your recommended partition ratio?

2. Can I move/copy Windows 7 from a PC?
I have other questions, but perhaps solving these first will be enough for now.
Thanks for your patience.

Partition size for Windows 7 depends on first whether it's the 32 bit version or the 64 bit version and how many Windows apps you intend to install. Generally speaking, the 64 bit version of Windows 7 needs about 20% more drive space than the 32 bit version.

Answering question 2 is easy. You can not copy Windows 7 from your PC and use it to install on your Mac. First, it would be a violation of the MS EULA, and second, it would not work anyway. You need to purchase a full install version of Windows 7 32 or 64 bit. It can be a MS boxed version or an OEM System Builder's version.

C

chas_m

I'm not trying to be nosy, I swear, but could you elaborate on WHY you think you need to sacrifice a big portion of your hard drive to run Windows?

It would help us understand what your ultimate goal is, and thus make a more intelligent recommendation on what the ratio should be, or some money-saving (or trouble-saving) alternatives.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
It sounds like the partitioning is done. The can't find disc error is referring to the DVD in the drive being the just burned bootcamp driver disc not a Windows install disc.

Reaction score
It sounds like the partitioning is done. The can't find disc error is referring to the DVD in the drive being the just burned bootcamp driver disc not a Windows install disc.

+1 - can you provide a picture of the disk utility screen?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.