Babylon search malware

Reaction score
It is clear from a Google search on 'Babylon search engine' that many users (mainly Windows users) regard the unsolicited Babylon search engine as malware and some believe it may be a virus. I have emailed Babylon at [email protected] asking how I can remove Babylon from my iMac OS X Lion (10.7.4) and have heard nothing yet. I have never had anything to do with the Babylon translation software. I have used MacKeeper to check for the presence of Babylon and it found nothing. Every time I start up the Google Chrome browser I get a tab opened for the Babylon search engine. There is nothing in Chrome's Wrench > Settings > Extensions that makes any mention of Babylon.
Am I the only Mac user that is having a problem with this Babylon search engine malware?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What happens if you open Safari? Same thing? Never seen Babylon on OSX. Only a few PC's. It was stuck in the cache of the browser. I cleared out Cache and it was gone.

OP
A
Reaction score
Cleared the cache in Chrome, quit Chrome, restarted Chrome, Babylon appears in a new tab.
Safari is okay - no sign of Babylon there. Once again I ask "Am I the only one having a problem with Babylon on a Mac?"

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Ok, checking on that now and will post back if I find a solution for you.

I have had some Windows users actually install that thing! 1st system took an hour to get it to leave for good.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Try this if you have not. Click on Wrench, and then on settings and on Search Engines. Does it show there? Someone just removed it from there and said it was gone. Checking farther.

OP
A
Reaction score
Thanks but no sign of Babylon.
Under default search engines I have Google (default), Yahoo!Xtra (nz.yahoo.com) and Bing. In Other search engines I have acronymfinder.com, bitdefender.com, dell.co.nz, facebook.com, golang.org (godoc), translate.google.com, uow.edu.au (an Australian University) and Yahoo.com. The only search engine I knowingly use is Google.
Dennis, I really appreciate your help. .... Gerard.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry that did not work. Found it as a suggestion on a Google Chrome site. WIll keep looking and get back with anymore info.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Have you installed any software recently? I am trying to figure out why it's not showing up anywhere in your google chrome settings but still there. And also you said Safari is not affected. And you say nothing in Extensions either. STRANGE!!!

Edit, if you go to the Wrench and under Basics, see On Startup? How do you have that set? Try setting it to the top option Home Page and below check the homepage setting.

Just throwing out things that have worked for others. I have even tried to get the thing here in Google Chrome so I can figure it out, but no luck!!!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Funny it would only install it for Chrome and not for Safari though.

OP
A
Reaction score
Thank you Dennis
Procedure is Wrench > On Startup > Open a page or specific set of pages > set pages > and this reveals the Babylon nastie (Babylon Search)
I then select the Babylon URL (as above) in the input textbox area, and press delete and then click the OK button. - Gone ... phew
Interesting to note that the support team at Babylon ignored the Apple Mac OS X context and gave me a Windows solution from their KnowledgeBase. Maybe a machine answered my question?? spooky!

The only change I made recently (28 June) was to upgrade my iMac from Snow Leopard to Lion. As a Java software developer I am very careful what I download although it is quite possible I got careless.

The comments on MacKeeper are interesting. I like the software but now I will do a due diligence investigation to see if the criticisms are warranted.
Thanks guys, Gerard

OP
A
Reaction score
For the record, because this should really belong to a different post, I have taken Phil's advice and removed MacKeeper mainly because the company Zeobit sounds dodgy but mainly because it provides facilities that are not needed on a well maintained iMac.
Note: I disconnected from the internet before and during the deletion of MacKeeper because it was asking for feedback as I was about to enter my system password. Am I paranoid?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Am I paranoid?

Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean somebody isn't out to get you! ;P

FWIW I would have done the same thing. :)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good going Gerard!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.