Erasing loging accounts mba

Reaction score
Hi All

I am setting up my MBA to sell it (I bought the new pro/retina). I was able to reset to factory settings but my login account still shows up. When I go into system preferences to delete the account, I cannot as it is the only account listed. When I log out to see if I can relog in under guest, there is no option.

How can I reset it so that there is only a generic login for someone buying the laptop.

THanks!

Gabrielle

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Logging in as Guest is probably not going to be useful because those accounts don't have the permissions needed to delete accounts. You' Mac has to have at least one admin account at all times AFAIK. Here's one thing that should get the job done for you:

1. Log into your current sccount and create a new account named something generic like "Troubleshooting". Anything will work as long as you don't confuse it with your main account. Make it an admin account.

2. When you're sure you're done with your account log out of it and into the newly created user account.

3. Delete your account and be sure not to retain the information. That's one of the options. The new account is now the only one left and the new user could use it for future troubleshooting.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.