external flash drive not recognized by lion

Reaction score
I bought a new mac mini with OS Lion and now I discover that external drives are not recognized. Can I resolve this?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Perhaps the drives are being recognized but are simply not appearing on the desktop. Check this by opening the Finder's preferences. Go to the General tab and make sure External disks is checked.

OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply .. I had already tried what you suggested. However, I tried two other flash drives and they work .. after all my fadoodling around I nearly fell off my chair. The one I was writing about still doesn't appear .. I was wondering if it could be formatted somehow .. but how, if it doesn't show anywhere? B

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Have you tried launching Disk Utility to see if it appears in the list of drives in the left pane? Sometimes if a drive's directory structure is damaged Disk Utility will "see" it where Finder cannot. If that works you should be able to see and format it. DU may also be able to mount the drive without needing to reformat it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.